Can you sex these 3-week old chicks?

I tried to take it back to the store, but they said it was a girl because of the tail feathers, but you have to wonder because they didn't have a place to put it. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see for sure.

Last edited:
i agree with your exact words, justduckyinVT. mine are five weeks, and i stare at them daily, noticing changes in feathering, tail length, leg thickness, comb size and colour...should i be able to discern their genders yet? i have my opinion, based on comparing my other chicks to the four that are definitely female, that i bought from a separate store. anyway, just wanted to chime in, and to also tell you that i really enjoy the emoticons that you (and lots of others on here) use. they are so funny. i'm going to try and learn how to do them. they add a lot to the message. happy watching and waiting,,,and watching...

i will post more pics of the barred rock in 3 weeks. I am hoping it will turn out to be a butch girl.

Buff orps you can't really tell for many weeks - mine are almost eight weeks and I'm still unsure. I think your red is a pullet, and unless there is some weird thing happening with your barred rock, it is a boy. You might want to make a plan for him sooner than later, if you know for sure you can't keep roos. That's what I would do, anyhow.
hide.gif

I'm gonna go against popular opinion and say that the rock is a pullet. There's an awful lot of black on the front of the legs to call it a cockerel. It does look lighter in color than I would normally expect from a pullet, but that could easily be lighting or picture quality. I looked at pics of my BR pullets at that age, and they had combs that big, so I'm not convinced of a cockerel yet. Would love to see pictures in a few weeks. :)

Thanks a lot! I will make sure to post some pics on there six week b-day!(may 16th -17th).
jumpy.gif
I sure hope it turns out to be a girl, because shes one of my favs!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom