"Can you Spare an Egg?" (PIC)

Quote:
Nah... there was no reason to kill it. I know rabid behavior and he was not rabid..just cold and hungry. But I appreciate the concern.

If I killed every predator I saw on my property in winter I'd have to quit my job and sit on the porch with my shotgun. And I'd have to hire someone to help in the summer because the snakes would be out.

My grandfather used to say you can kill all the coyotes you see and trap the ones you don't and all you really did was make it easier for the real killer 'yotes that were smarter than you.

Last edited:
I love possums!! I had one as a pet for a day. I named him oscar.
love.gif
Someone went out of their way to hit one on the road. We were driving passed and it moved. So we stopped and it was a mom and babies! We pulled the live babies off her and took them in the house. I wanted to keep the one so bad. But they freak out my mom. So after 3hrs of phone calls to find someone to take them, we drove them to a wildlife rescuer. She said they make good pets kind like cats. They'll use the litter box and everything. They make really cute clicking noise when they want their mom. Now the DH shoots possums and teases me saying it was oscar coming for a visit. Its a big family joke . I found someone to take the coon babies under my barn too. Their mom got hit as well.

Cute pic!
I've rehabbed possums, they aren't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier but they are fun to watch. We had an arrangement to relocate them to a state park for release. The state is happy to have them, as they clean up a lot of the garbage human visitors seem to leave behind.

As a chicken "tender" it's my job to protect my birds to the best of my abilities- not to kill off the wildlife in the area, so more can move in. Our property is a certified wildlife habitat, so we have to be a bit careful about killing. We did lose a bunch of chickens last year- to a dog that escaped from the neighbor's pens down the highway.

Thanks for posting the pic!
smile.png

when my daughter was about 7 it was her job to feed the cats in the garage.. we always left the door up a few inches so any strays or lost kitties could get in to eat and drink.. she went out one evening to feed them and came running back in saying she saw a huge rat.. so out i went.. of course there was nothing there so i figured the rat ran out.. then next night same thing and again we searched the garage and foung nothing.. a few nights later she cracked open the door to feed them and called me to come quick.. there sitting with 3 other cats was a possum eating along side them .. apparently the cats had no problem with it so we let it be. we just poured more cat food crunchies into the bowl and all winter it slept in the garage.. come spring it had left.. we cleaned out the nest.. peeewwwwwww that was one stinky place..

Quote:
A friend of my mom's used to feed the stray cats in her area (long story short, it's where I got my first kitten) what the cats didn't eat, the skunks would clean up 2 hours later. It was so cute sitting, watching skunks eat like kitties. I tihnk i was about 7 or 8 then, they don't come around anymore though.

Quote:
So immune from rabies that our Conservation officers tell us to shoot them on sight.. especially when you see them in the daylight
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom