Can you tell sex on 2 month old Embdens?

mama24

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
GSO, NC
I have 2. I think they may be both boys, but I'm not sure. They are about 2 months old, maybe a little less, can't remember. One of them is super protective of my ducklings, the other is more of a follower, but otherwise they look and act pretty much identical.

No one has any thoughts?
Would have been nice to have seen them when young goslings, the girls are always darker than the boys, Can you tell if one stands taller than the other one carries itself more uop right, that could be your gander, My Embden gander walks very upright and stands with his head in the air. But he is 6 years old can't remember if he did it at 2 months.

Yeah, I think one does. That one is also either friendlier or braver. It runs up to us while the other hangs back. I think I took pics when they were babies. I'll have to see if I can tell from those.

Yeah, I think one does. That one is also either friendlier or braver. It runs up to us while the other hangs back. I think I took pics when they were babies. I'll have to see if I can tell from those.
Only thing is even if you find pics would you know which one is which now. lol other that posturing and also their vocals my gander is higher pitched than my goose. Seems though that people have mentioned their ganders are usually the friendlier one and the goose is more reserved. Our gander was hatched here but we didn't get our goose till she was 4 months old so she has always been more reserved.

the only way I could tell the ones I raised last year was to band the girl I kept. Now it's easy as their personalities are set. Once they feather it's really difficult unless you vent sex them

Well, I figured if I had one of each, it was enough to know I had a pair and not really important to me if I don't know who is who. lol. But I did NOT find any pictures, but I asked my friend who picked them up from the feed store for me, and she agreed, they were both light gray when we got them. :( Both boys!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Well, I figured if I had one of each, it was enough to know I had a pair and not really important to me if I don't know who is who. lol. But I did NOT find any pictures, but I asked my friend who picked them up from the feed store for me, and she agreed, they were both light gray when we got them. :( Both boys!

Thanks for your help!
Well as long as there aren't any females around they will be fine together.

good to know. How will they be with my ducks? That's what I'm worried about.
Large ducks no problem, they will most likely mate with them, but my Embden mated with my Muscovy's till I got him a mate last Aug. so for over 5 years he was mating with the ducks. No problems with any of them. And no cross breeds between the 2 species either.

Back
Top Bottom