Can you use a dog shock collar to teach a rooster to stop crowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to be as engaging as the posters above. What a ridiculous question. They shouldn't be allowed to be used on dogs IMO.

Get rid of the rooster if you don't want to hear crowing...it's what roosters do.
rant.gif
somad.gif

It's unlikely
smile.png
I would use THE LOWEST setting (ours has a little dial-weak to strong) We use it on our dog, though
tongue.png

Be curious to know how it works, though!
big_smile.png
Tell us when you try!

I would not use the collor on him. First it is not designed for a chicken and dogs have alot more hair and skin for that shock to go through.

:mad:Sorry if this is not the place to say this BUT, I disagree with who every ask why you had a rooster. Some of us did not plan on Roos, but have they any way because you can not get 100% pullets when ordering. I have about 12 roos right now I don't intend on breeding at any time., but would not give them away or "Freeze camp" them anymore then I would get rid of my kids. They are my kids and I enjoy everyone. I love to wake up and hear them crowing every morning. Regardless of the time.
Again Sorry I just had to get that off my chest.
hide.gif

I agree with many of the others that have replied. DON'T DO IT! If you don't like it, rehome him. It is better to do this, than to make him live a life of pain for doing what he is born to do.
th.gif

In another post, by Choco Maran, it was mentioned that they didn't understand why someone would ask why someone had a roo since many get some they don't want and this makes sense. It happens. People are going to respond in different ways when this happens. Choco Maran chooses to keep hers and to treat them as a part of her family. VERY commendable as many don't. It is also mentioned that Choco Maran wouldn't get rid of hers/his or cull them but she/he takes just as much care of the roos as the others.
I guess what I am trying to say is that if you aren't willing to let this rooster live a natural life then the best thing to do for it is to rehome it. I am not too fond of rehoming but when there is no other choice or the alternative is a shock collar rehoming is the best you could do for him.

I don't understand why a shock collar
hit.gif
would be an option at all but I am against using them on dogs or any other animal to begin with so...

(Choco, I hope no offense was derived from this as none was meant or even implied
big_smile.png
but sometimes when typing that can be how it comes across. I was trying to compare how you handle extra roos to how others were contemplating handling it.)

Keep in mind that shock collars are designed for dogs, most of them over a certain weight. Also, most of the devices will simply be too large and heavy for the rooster to even wear. He won't be able to keep his head up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom