Can you use deep litter method in an open chicken run?

Ok, so this thread has inspired me to NOT go with the prefab option and to hire someone to help us build a coop instead. We've been scouring the web and we've come to love the Wichita coop (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop). I'd still love to keep our plan for 5 chickens. Currently the coop is (I believe) designed for 5x8. We'd probably enlarge it to 6x10.

Now, since we are getting the chance to customize this coop to our exact specifications, is there anything folks would recommend changing/adding? Does the ventilation look like it's ok? We live in Chicagoland, so it can get somewhat stuffy in the summer and in the winter...well it's currently -10! Also, we were thinking of putting in a skylight in the coop for extra light, especially in the winter...silly idea?

Or any little tidbits that you've picked up along the way? Even little things that you would tweak if you did it all over again. We are only 'booksmart' and haven't learned anything yet by trial and error :) We have the next week to build our idea of a dream coop - we've found a great craftsman who is up for the challenge so the sky (and our budget ha!) is the limit!

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
No not me

Back
Top Bottom