Canada winter coop- designing my coop- Help!

In the spring I moved my flock to this other shed on our property. The people that lived here before us used this as their chicken coop. I'm wanting to make it more functional and esthetically pleasing. Our winters drop to -45⁰ most years, it's been as low as -72⁰ with the windchill. The average ranging about -30⁰.
There is electricity in this building, i can put a heat lamp up. Should i just paint the wood white or should i put in insulation and cover it with something? Would you do drywall? I feel like something I could pressure wash would be more optimal.

The floor is concrete, What should I use as flooring? Ive heard so much about using sand, i have a sand and small gravel rock crush available to me. Should i fill it with that? Ive been using wood shavings, and its not bad, but its definitely not deep and i find its kinda a pain to clean up.

i have a heated barn, so my silkies, mandarins and probably my houdans will winter in there so they dont freeze to death. This shed would house my orpingtons over winter.

I plan on replacing the backdoor before winter to something solid. Will the two windows in the front be enough ventilation?

Any cool ideas for coops? So far I'm planning on building a sealed off maternity ward at the back on the bottom then doing roosting bars on top of that with a sand pit base for easy clean up, im going to use an ikea shelf for nesting boxes, put in some cute chicken swings, a chandelier and mirrors along the bottom and feeding pvc pipes with a watering barrel.
I feel like i know what i want but what to do with the walls and floor is really holding me back. I just cant figure out what would be best.
View attachment 3580622anaView attachment 3580623
I live in the high Rockies of Colorado where nights in winter can be similar to yours. We put up batt insulation and covered it with particle board and painted it white. We use Sweeter Heaters for safety. We have coarse sand for litter. Have a heated bucket from Premier1. Works well here and should work well for you.

Back
Top Bottom