Canadians check in here....

Hi, just joined today, I'm from chilliwack, B.C. about an hour away from vancouver. I have 15 hens, 1 rooster and 1 of my hens is sitting on 7 eggs so hopefully some new chicks soon
fl.gif

Hey everyone! Hi and welcome!

What kind of supplies are you looking for CountryCanadianChickensRock? Berryhill has supplies, I can give you contact info for a couple of Canadians in Alberta and Quebec who make chicken saddles. Cutlers pheasant and poultry supply ship to Canada (from Michigan) and are great for some medications you can't get here.

Quote:
Thanks for replying Skeffling Lavender Farm,

I'm looking for supplies for small Hobby Farms, not for big commercial ones, my Chickens are my pets just as my dog & cats are lol So I like giving them treats and making the Coop more fun for them, I was looking for things like treat balls and meal worm and treat suppliments as well as wall mountable plastic feeders ( for small flocks not commercial size ) and small wall mountable flat heaters etc...etc.... I'mve seen these items in websites such as My Pet Chicken & Shop The Coop & Stromberg's .....but I can't seem to find a Canadian Website that has these type of items for small hobby farms...Berry Hills seems to be more for commercial chicken farms, they don't have anything I want or need from what I seen on their website. My Pet Chicken had the most but they are in the USA and don't deliver to Canada.....I would much rather buy from Canada anyways since paying the amount we are charged in duty fees is rediculous, you sometimes pay as much if not more in fees than what the product sells for !

Thanks for your help
smile.png

Quote:

I'm looking for supplies for small Hobby Farms, not for big commercial ones, my Chickens are my pets just as my dog & cats are lol So I like giving them treats and making the Coop more fun for them, I was looking for things like treat balls and meal worm and treat suppliments as well as wall mountable plastic feeders ( for small flocks not commercial size ) and small wall mountable flat heaters etc...etc.... I'mve seen these items in websites such as My Pet Chicken & Shop The Coop & Stromberg's .....but I can't seem to find a Canadian Website that has these type of items for small hobby farms...Berry Hills seems to be more for commercial chicken farms, they don't have anything I want or need from what I seen on their website. My Pet Chicken had the most but they are in the USA and don't deliver to Canada.....I would much rather buy from Canada anyways since paying the amount we are charged in duty fees is rediculous, you sometimes pay as much if not more in fees than what the product sells for !

Thanks for your help
smile.png

if the treat balls you are looking are the same type as for the dogs.. the chickens may loose interest in them before getting treats... what I have done is taken metal clothes hangers about 5 of them and form a hollow ball... i will cut a cabbage in 1/4 and stuff it in there

meal worms can be bought for cheap at a local reptile supply store when you buy in bulk they usually give you a deal... for a reptile owner to go through 1000 meal worms either they have a large amount of pets or they can store them... but chickens will eat a 1000 in a week... crickets are good treats too

my small plastic feeder I made .. I will go find a link and come back and post it here for you.. it was dirt cheap! instead of the feeder ending at the elbow.. i have added a 18" long piece cut in half length wise to make a trough to the end on an downward grade and the feed flows with the help of gravity
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=206562&p=1

the wall mountable heaters I was able to get at TSC ... I was also able to order them in through my local feed store. ... remember the chickens should be ok throgh our winters IF their coop is draft free.. the only thing I have troubles with it my water freezing bt I take a heating pad for humans and wrap it around my plastic heater and secure it with bungee cords and its enough to keep my water unfrozen. I do have a small coil oil filled heater that i keep up on a shelf about 5' up and if the chickens feel they are cold they can hop up there.. my little wynnedots will hop up there on the reeealy cold nights but I dont see them up there all that often.

Last edited:
Quote:

Thanks for your help
smile.png

if the treat balls you are looking are the same type as for the dogs.. the chickens may loose interest in them before getting treats... what I have done is taken metal clothes hangers about 5 of them and form a hollow ball... i will cut a cabbage in 1/4 and stuff it in there

meal worms can be bought for cheap at a local reptile supply store when you buy in bulk they usually give you a deal... for a reptile owner to go through 1000 meal worms either they have a large amount of pets or they can store them... but chickens will eat a 1000 in a week... crickets are good treats too

my small plastic feeder I made .. I will go find a link and come back and post it here for you.. it was dirt cheap! instead of the feeder ending at the elbow.. i have added a 18" long piece cut in half length wise to make a trough to the end on an downward grade and the feed flows with the help of gravity
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=206562&p=1

the wall mountable heaters I was able to get at TSC ... I was also able to order them in through my local feed store. ... remember the chickens should be ok throgh our winters IF their coop is draft free.. the only thing I have troubles with it my water freezing bt I take a heating pad for humans and wrap it around my plastic heater and secure it with bungee cords and its enough to keep my water unfrozen. I do have a small coil oil filled heater that i keep up on a shelf about 5' up and if the chickens feel they are cold they can hop up there.. my little wynnedots will hop up there on the reeealy cold nights but I dont see them up there all that often.

Thanks for the tips ! Much appreciated !
smile.png

Hi CountryCanadianChicksRock... you can get live mealy worms from most any pet fish stores, a lot of wild bird centers have them also... you can even raise your own mealy worms

Hey i'm from southern New Brunswick and I seem to be addicted to chickens, I love to watch them grow and although I am new to this sort of thing I have enjoyed it so far and I am looking forward to my silkies someday trying to hatch some Indian runner ducks for me... but that will be a while as the ducks are only about 14 weeks old and the silkies are only around 7 weeks.

Hello fine feathered friends .I'm tuck away in dauphin Manitoba the city of sunshine and where the darn wind won't stop blowing:cd

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom