Canadians check in here....

Hi Alex from Pitt Meadows and SandyNormAmy from Poco. I'm Wendy from Bradner (just East of Aldergrove). So I'm just across the river from both of you. I'm new to this site too. I thought I knew a lot about my little flock and hatching but I've learned so much here and I'm sure with some time to read I'll learn a whole lot more.

I've put 11 eggs in a homemade incubator and am now down to 5. They should have started hatching Sunday and been out yesterday but nothing. Being discouraged I candled 2 of them, very gently, this morning. Both have large air pockets and I saw movement in one. I'm still hopeful as I've been hovering over them peeking in though the side like a "mother hen" I'm fortunate to be able to work from home so I can keeps tabs on temperature and humidity constantly.

In the meantime...I have a ten chicks (2 of each of 5 different types) ordered to arrive early July and we are building another house to home younger ones until they are ready to go in with the hens and our one rooster Harvey. Hopefully I will have one or two from the incubator to add to these. :)

...and hello to all of my fellow Canadians!

Hi Alex from Pitt Meadows and SandyNormAmy from Poco. I'm Wendy from Bradner (just East of Aldergrove). So I'm just across the river from both of you.  I'm new to this site too. I thought I knew a lot about my little flock and hatching but I've learned so much here and I'm sure with some time to read I'll learn a whole lot more.

I've put 11 eggs in a homemade incubator and am now down to 5. They should have started hatching Sunday and been out yesterday but nothing. Being discouraged I candled 2 of them, very gently, this morning. Both have large air pockets and I saw movement in one. I'm still hopeful as I've been hovering over them peeking in though the side like a "mother hen" I'm fortunate to be able to work from home so I can keeps tabs on temperature and humidity constantly.

In the meantime...I have a ten chicks (2 of each of 5 different types) ordered to arrive early July and we are building another house to home younger ones until they are ready to go in with the hens and our one rooster Harvey. Hopefully I will have one or two from the incubator to add to these. :)

...and hello to all of my fellow Canadians!

I have had a hatch show 'NO sign of a pip for a few days after the expected hatch date
If the temp dropped in the evenings or it gets a draft, the hatch date can be longer.

The problem I found is disturbing the eggs.
Every time the lid is opened the bator loses Humidity.
Adding a bit of veri warm water can bring it back up BUT be sure to NEVER open the bator if an egg has started to pip!

The chicks get shrink wrapped in the shell.
I've seen it enough times to be a believer.
The membrane dries so quickly around the chick & sticks to its feathers.
Chick can't get out of the shell without help & then...well you are left with a deformed or runt chick.

Be patient a while longer. You could still end up with some cute babies
There could be Many reasons why the hatch date is late but stil worth the wait.

Hi everyone. I am located just north of Toronto in a small town called Uxbridge,Ontario
We have rare heritage breeds of chickens. I have pure bred Americanas, Aracuanas ,bielefilders, partridge chanteclers. cream legbars, Wheaton Morans,Light sussex, buff orpingtons, Dorking, Bredas. This is my first post ever to a forum
.Have a Great chicken Day

Hi everyone. I am located just north of Toronto in a small town called Uxbridge,Ontario
We have rare heritage breeds of chickens. I have pure bred Americanas, Aracuanas ,bielefilders, partridge chanteclers. cream legbars, Wheaton Morans,Light sussex, buff orpingtons, Dorking, Bredas. This is my first post ever to a forum

Hi Comfreygirl;

I am interested in adding chanteclers to my flock next spring. I am 2.5 hours northwest of Edmonton, so a long way away from you. Do you know of a source for these birds that is a little closer to me?

Many thanks,
Karen

Hi Karen. I just went to a website called rarebreedscanada.org then go to breeders page and click on Chickens.
You can look for breeders of the chicken you want.
I did not see anyone in your area but you might want to call or email those close to you even if they breed other kinds. They might know of someone who does and is not a member. Have you tried Kijji?
Enjoy your chickens

What a coincidence! I'm located in the Uxbridge area as well!

Barn has similar chickens in it too...

Most peculiar!
wink.png

We have rare  heritage breeds of chickens. I have pure bred Americanas, Aracuanas ,bielefilders, partridge chanteclers. cream legbars, Wheaton Morans,Light sussex, buff orpingtons, Dorking, Bredas. This is my first post ever to a forum

Hi comfreygirl :) We are not far apart. I live between between Barrie and Wasaga. Just the lake between us lol. Welcome to BYC!

Hi Karen. I just went to a website called rarebreedscanada.org then go to breeders page and click on Chickens.
You can look for breeders of the chicken you want.
I did not see anyone in your area but you might want to call or email those close to you even if they breed other kinds. They might know of someone who does and is not a member. Have you tried Kijji?
Enjoy your chickens

Hi Army; Thanks for doing that research on my behalf. I have always been kind of nervous of kijiji. Have you had good results using that resource? There is a small, local message board called infomall but it doesn't have a whole lot of chicken postings.

Back
Top Bottom