Canadians check in here....

Shellz, I'm with you about the sugar maples. By the time I finish boiling the last of my sap I might have made a gallon of syrup but I'm hoping for more.
I'm an hour southwest of Ottawa and it sure was cold enough today! I want all the white stuff to melt off so I can build my fenced chicken run. The girls will want out and I can't supervise all the time. I saw 4 robins in the yard on Wednesday though so the signs of spring are all around.
Where roughly are you Baker Farm?

I'm about an hours south of Ottawa, Near Prescott... We must be somewhat close?
Hope this years, sap is better than last here!!

Hello fellow Canadians

Weather is just below freezing here, so there is a bit of snow coming later today.

Hatching chicks in my bathroom. 5 of 10 hatched out yesterday. 5 more to hatch, but not sure if they will; the remaining eggs are being rolled around by the chicks that have already hatche:fld!

Happy Weekend!

hatching Chicks in your bathroom, That's awesome!!

Happy Weekend to you :)

Hi all....Windy here ,-4....but, very windy in Peterborough On. area.I've got 42 EE eggs in bator for Hatch-a- long..
Was informed today by an active chicken producer, shows birds...that my rooster I thought was a good specimenof Jersey Giant ..is crossed with Australope.....
no problem for me, I like his size and not it this for show ...hobby for me.
I'm satisified to raise my EE's and a few commerial brown eggers , have a colourful carton of eggs either way.....lol...
Will run a hatch of JG after the easter time and then let everyone mingle for rest of summer...
Actually my geese have started to lay so probably set one bator of them in late April...that will give me enough to raise this season....
I might be interested in getting a couple of your EEs from you. I will be heading Belleville way sometime mid to end of week of April 22. Are you interested in selling any at that time?

Hello

So good to hear from you!!

Have you gotten any more sap?  
   We got a tiny little bit today, not much!
   The sun has been nice!!

I agree sure hope it's the last cold snap!!  
    But there calling for 10-15 here Monday and 5-10 on Tuesday
   looks like it won't be warm enough again for sap till Next week!!

I've never seen a crow nest...
   But I have noticed a few Robins here :)
   That's a good sign!  
Not much more sap. Next week I'm sure will be better! Saw a flock of about 30 robins I had startled, opening my patio door last week. I've never seen so many at one time! Saw my first turkey vulture of the season too. My rooster growled a warning. He growls at just about anything that flies within his sights! They enjoy safety right now in a large fenced yard, attached to the coop. Oh where is spring?!

These are the first 5 chicks to my Silver pencilled Plymouth Rock flock in 2013. I am building a temp pen in my woodshed, so hope they won't be in the house very long.

When they are fully grown, they will look like these:

If any Canadians are interested in buying some hatching eggs, please send me a personal message. I am sending some eggs to Ontario soon as a test trial and if that is successful, will be willing to try mailing elsewhere, when the weather is warmer in April and May.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Hi everyone,
I'm Chantel and I live in SE Saskatchewan 45 mins from Regina. I currently have 23 eggs in bator due to hatch on March 24. I m having the same feeling that spring is never coming and when it does it is going to be a mess. The snow is 4 feet high solid throughout our yard and we just keep getting hit with more.

Meatking, I live in Jasper.
I hoping for another good sap run after this cold snap were having. I'm small scale, 26 taps this year and have boiled all my sap to date and nw have a bit over 5 litres of finished syrup.
Just started with chickens in February. I've got 6 laying hens, but so many people want to buy my eggs I'm planning on going to 9-12 to see how that goes. Good times ;)

Back
Top Bottom