Canadians check in here....

Why don't you start a thread? I'll join the discussion.
Also, Just wondering how others deal with frostbite... My guys are getting it bad.
I realize it's probably humidity and cold, and quick-changing weather.

Why don't you start a thread? I'll join the discussion.
Also, Just wondering how others deal with frostbite... My guys are getting it bad.
I realize it's probably humidity and cold, and quick-changing weather.

Never dealt with frostbite myself but there was a big discussion about it going on on the natural chicken keeping thread. Sounded like most people were leaving it alone unless it got infected as the pressure if applying anything would further damage the tissue.

I will start a thread on it but will probably wait a few day until the holiday is over. :)

Wishing all of my fellow Canadians a wonderful holiday!
smile.png
Thank you! Happy holidays!

Wishing all of my fellow Canadians a wonderful holiday! :)

And Merry Christmas to all from PEI Chicken, too!

I have 12 laying hens and 2 roos. I'm waiting until it warms up a bit before they can get together to breed. Some people are wanting fertile eggs. Right now I am only getting 3 eggs per day, and these are from the 2013 pullets. Lots of snow here; some freezing rain, but not as much as in Ontario and New Brunswick.

Something I learned in 2013:

• Extra roos that aren't suitable for breeding make great meat pies!

Something that I have yet to learn:

• How to keep chickens from pooping in their heated water bowl. I've raised it up close to the ceiling of the coop, but they still manage to perch on the edge of it!

This is a pic from winter 2012; the chickens are below their coop in an enclosed area in the daytime; they can go to the upper level to perch and lay eggs. This is the same set up that I have used for the past 3 years.

Have a great 2014, and enjoy your chickens!

Just checking in from Montreal. Weather here has been pretty bad, lots of snow and -20's. I have a little bantam tractor coop sheltered by a tempo - and I am surprised at how well this setup has worked out. It has made the winter (so far at least) much easier for the little chickens.

Just checking in from Montreal. Weather here has been pretty bad, lots of snow and -20's. I have a little bantam tractor coop sheltered by a tempo - and I am surprised at how well this setup has worked out. It has made the winter (so far at least) much easier for the little chickens.
Good! I'm glad its working out for you.

Back
Top Bottom