Canadians check in here....

Thank you! I'm very excited about them and have them bookmarked! :eek:) I also found a brother of a friend of a friend with a farm (whew!) who has many heritage breeds in a town nearby, and one other breeder: skarabraefarms.com so I have a few good leads now!

And I have to laugh that you responded to "Chickax"... I was trying to think of a chicken name no one else had, and all I could think of was Chicka Chicka Boom Boom... too long for the avatar to accept, so I shortened it to Chicka x 2 Boom x 2... Still too long. Came out Chickax2 Boomx2 -- I didn't realize it looked like Chickax!!! Oh dear. :eek:(

Thank you! I'm very excited about them and have them bookmarked! :eek:) I also found a brother of a friend of a friend with a farm (whew!) who has many heritage breeds in a town nearby, and one other breeder: skarabraefarms.com so I have a few good leads now!

And I have to laugh that you responded to "Chickax"... I was trying to think of a chicken name no one else had, and all I could think of was Chicka Chicka Boom Boom... too long for the avatar to accept, so I shortened it to Chicka x 2 Boom x 2... Still too long. Came out Chickax2 Boomx2 -- I didn't realize it looked like Chickax!!! Oh dear. :eek:(
Haha yea sometimes a thought is different once written down.

I got my chickens from Skara Brae Farms - however she is in Ontario. So you would only be able to get eggs from her - she does not ship chicks. Unless you are planning a road trip.

I do wish that Briarwood was in Ontario!! It's very difficult when only one place sells the breeds you are looking for. Skara Brae was the only breeder I found in my area who was doing an ethical job and has the breeds I am looking for - the others have very mixed reviews (some really bad ones) or have a sketchy background.

We just picked up our chickens on Saturday in fact - so only have had them for a few days. I haven't a clue what the heck I am doing LOL - it's our first time owning chickens. I have grown up taking care of a million different animals, but not chickens. Skara Brae (Gwen) is very nice, but give her time to respond. She is just a small hobby farmer and doing it on her own :)

Hey canadian gang! I have brabanters that are about 5 weeks old. I am worried they might be getting bored in the bin (they are still with a heating lamp).

Is it too cold to start putting them outside for short periods of time? It is between 0 - 12 celcius these days in Ontario

Oh ok there not chick looking any more,they have feathers that look more like an adult of the same breed... No fluff left.
I just looked up that breed they are beautiful.... Could post a pic I'd like to see them?
I wonder maybe if you should wean them off the lamp then bring them out... Could be a shock to go out in the cold....
You could hang a treat ball, or some food above the box for there entertainment...

Last edited:
Oh ok there not chick looking any more,they have feathers that look more like an adult of the same breed... No fluff left.
I just looked up that breed they are beautiful.... Could post a pic I'd like to see them?
I wonder maybe if you should wean them off the lamp then bring them out... Could be a shock to go out in the cold....
You could hang a treat ball, or some food above the box for there entertainment...

Back
Top Bottom