Canadians check in here....

Hi Everyone!

I'm from Bracebridge Ontario and am currently trying to get our Town by-law changed so I can have hens. I live on 2 acres on the skirts of town limits and R1 zoning is currently not allowed laying hens.

If anyone has any information, sources, ANYTHING that can help I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thank-you!

Hello Bracebridge! Wasaga Beach here. I'm going to ask around for you because I know there's a group spear-heading the same mission in Barrie. There's a website but I can't recall what it's called. Will find out. They may have some info that could help. Welcome to BYC :)

2nd week with the chicks and they are growing fast. I'm up to 8 with 3 more on the way. It's addicting...
I think they need a bigger coop....
Here's what I've done...

The roof is going to be metal still have to finish the rafters in the back.
There is a separate section for the meat chickens and separate back door to get in and out from.

Still have to finish the front door and the bottom skirting.
Hopefully done by next week.

What do you all think?
Anything I missed?
Thanks

Ajayk you are expanding already!? Lol
That's gotta be some kind of record! Your coop looks great and your Chickie's will love the extra scratching space. How many meat chickens are you getting?

Ajayk you are expanding already!? Lol
That's gotta be some kind of record! Your coop looks great and your Chickie's will love the extra scratching space. How many meat chickens are you getting?

Thanks....I was thinking of getting 5 to start...I do want to build them a small coop within the larger run that I have built.
I built the addition with 2 enterences and a divider too keep them separate.

I was told by a local chicken farmer that keeping separate is much better.

Have you ever had meat chickens

Thanks....I was thinking of getting 5 to start...I do want to build them a small coop within the larger run that I have built.
I built the addition with 2 enterences and a divider too keep them separate.

I was told by a local chicken farmer that keeping separate is much better.

Have you ever had meat chickens

No my hubby would love to get some but he knows as well as I do that I would name them and refuse to eat them lol. I'm a wimp!

Yes I guess that would be hard...but they are only around for 8-10 weeks

That was his argument too. I wish I could do it. I went to a small butcher shop near me once to get some pork chops and they rolled a whole pig out on a hook and cut its head off in front of me. I didn't eat pork for 6 months lol. I even grew up on a beef farm but clearly nothing sunk in :(

That was his argument too. I wish I could do it. I went to a small butcher shop near me once to get some pork chops and they rolled a whole pig out on a hook and cut its head off in front of me. I didn't eat pork for 6 months lol. I even grew up on a beef farm but clearly nothing sunk in :(

Do you eat chicken?

Do you eat chicken?

Yes I buy from my neighbor! I don't know their faces. I know it doesn't make sense... I can't even justify it lol. Funny enough I have a job interview next week with a small local company that sells free range/antibiotic free local meat! I will not be bringing up the pig story!

Back
Top Bottom