Canadians check in here....

Yes I buy from my neighbor! I don't know their faces. I know it doesn't make sense... I can't even justify it lol. Funny enough I have a job interview next week with a small local company that sells free range/antibiotic free local meat! I will not be bringing up the pig story!

Raising and processing your own chickens is so cost effective...and makes sense...but I can see how it would be difficult especially if you think of them as pets

Good luck on your interview....what would you be doing there?

Raising and processing your own chickens is so cost effective...and makes sense...but I can see how it would be difficult especially if you think of them as pets

Good luck on your interview....what would you be doing there?

It's a sales position. I just love the concept of the company. They buy from smaller farmers. Any business that provides a healthier option AND supports small farms is a business I could work for.

Hello Bracebridge! Wasaga Beach here. I'm going to ask around for you because I know there's a group spear-heading the same mission in Barrie. There's a website but I can't recall what it's called. Will find out. They may have some info that could help. Welcome to BYC
smile.png
That would be AMAZING!! Thank-you!!
I have an a-mail into Mr.Marshall who recommended a temporary zoning amendment to permit backyard hens in urban Huntsville, Ontario, which was passed and they now have a new by-law:

' Huntsville Town zoning by-law has information about backyard hens. It states the following: HENS, BACKYARD means a maximum of 10 hens (no roosters) may be kept in the rear yard in a screened and rodent and predator proofed enclosure that is no closer than 6.0m from a side or rear property line. The hens must be maintained in accordance with good animal husbandry practices as defined by the ministry of Food and Agriculture. The hens and eggs shall be for domestic use only and not for sale. The zoning by-law further states that they are permitted in Residential One, Residential Two, or Rural Residential zoned properties that are 1 acre or more in size.'

I'm hoping to get a similar amended for Bracebridge! I would greatly appreciate ANY information for help! I've never tackled such a feat before and I'm not going to lie, it's kind of intimidating! But I believe it is our freedom to be able to feed our families healthy food which we produce!
My daughter recently had a Pilocytic Astrocytoma brain tumor removed, which was millimeters away from taking her life. We are now, more than ever, concerned with what we feed her and her sister. We grow our own organic vegetables and would like to be able to feed her eggs which are fresh and that we know are healthy.
Hoping I can help make this a reality, not only for my family, but for other families that wish to do the same :)

Last edited:
It's a sales position. I just love the concept of the company. They buy from smaller farmers. Any business that provides a healthier option AND supports small farms is a business I could work for.

Since your passionate about chickens selling it for you will be easy.I always believe that when a salesperson truly believes in the product they are selling then it's much more convincing.

Saw the forum about naming your chicken coop...didno know people were so passionate about it. So I decided to get on that wagon and go back to my German roots and name my chicken coop

(House of the crazy chickens)
Started on this last night...really easy to do...very rewarding to see done
just applied a clear coat...

Hello canadiens! Im new to the site! Seems like a great place for passing on info! Im from the burbs of vancouver bc! I baught my first house a year ago and built a 4x18ft chicken run and finally got my first chickens of my own from my grandfathers hobby farm/vinyard (that i have been helping out and working on my whole life) in oliver BC 3 hens, a mumma and 2 approx 4month old chicks he raised for me. Im actually in serch of 2 ameraucana or araucana blue laying hens (one for me and one for my grandfather) they are his favorite but he cant seem to find any in the interior! If anyone has any leeds it wiuld be greatly appreciated!

Saw the forum about naming your chicken coop...didno know people were so passionate about it. So I decided to get on that wagon and go back to my German roots and name my chicken coop

(House of the crazy chickens)
Started on this last night...really easy to do...very rewarding to see done
just applied a clear coat...

Hey guys
I'm new to chicken farming....I was hoping someone can help me figure out if I have any roosters....
I suspect 2 RIR Roosters. 4-5 months old.

I've attached a photo pointing out the two suspects.

Any help is much appreciated
Langley BC

Hey guys
I'm new to chicken farming....I was hoping someone can help me figure out if I have any roosters....
I suspect 2 RIR Roosters. 4-5 months old.

I've attached a photo pointing out the two suspects.

Any help is much appreciated
Langley BC

I'm not familiar with RIR but they do look like roos to me!

Back
Top Bottom