Canadians check in here....

Hi and welcome to BYC. Spent a lot of time as a child with family in Kitchener, Guelph, Elora area. Actually have my burial plot already in Elora but don't plan on using it for years yet.
There is so much information on this site. If you can't find something by using search, people are happy to help. Sometimes the same questions get asked over and over, but we were all newbies once.
Check out lots of other threads. Random Ramblings has some interesting threads where you can lose hours of your time. Some discussions can get heated but it is always up to you to lurk, join in, or not read.
Would love to see some pics of your new additions.
I love that there can be heated discussions no matter what the topic! I need to spend some time getting good pics of my chicks tomorrow! Here’s a couple:

Attachments

• 3D6A2FB2-C340-4B21-AE0B-19CEC7A5B453.jpeg
    3D6A2FB2-C340-4B21-AE0B-19CEC7A5B453.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 3
  • 3CAA5039-1532-416D-98BD-886A2F6BBB06.jpeg
    3CAA5039-1532-416D-98BD-886A2F6BBB06.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 3
Hello everyone! :frowI am from Victoria BC! I am a first time chicken owner and I have a question! Do the bylaw officers come by your place to check on your coop placement once you register your hens if there are no complaints from neighbors? My partner and I are building a coop and where we want to put it won't be 3 meters from the property line. (Our bylaw says the coop must be in the rear yard 3 meters from rear property line and side property line) We talked to our neighbor and they don't care if it is close to the property line at all and are in fact excited for us and said they would like to get eggs from us in the future. So we don't see why it should matter.

Here is a photo of Croquette (polish) and Hennessy (buff orpington) they are wanting to go out into the coop soon!
20210428_181526.jpg

Last edited:
Hi!

I wonder if you guys could help me. We see from Northern Ireland, but my husband works for a Canadain company and so we have the opportunity to move over. He works remotely so he can literally work anywhere with a decent internet connection.

Canada is so vast we just need.some help to narrow down areas to consider living in.

We would be moving with 4 kids aged 1-12 so we need access to schools, extra-curricular activities etc. We would like somewhere that gets warm, mostly dry summers and winters that you can ski during. My eldest is into his skiing, but is still pretty amateur so a few slopes is totally fine, doesn't have to be world class runs.

We are looking for somewhere that there's plenty to do outside and affordable housing. Preferably less than 2 hours away from an airport as we expect we would get a lot of family visiting.

Any ideas? Help much appreciated!
I live in BC and I would have to say we check all your boxes but the affordable housing! Thats why instead of being called British Columbia it is nicknamed Bring Cash over here lol

Hello everyone! :frowI am from Victoria BC! I am a first time chicken owner and I have a question! Do the bylaw officers come by your place to check on your coop placement once you register your hens if there are no complaints from neighbors? My partner and I are building a coop and where we want to put it won't be 3 meters from the property line. (Our bylaw says the coop must be in the rear yard 3 meters from rear property line and side property line) We talked to our neighbor and they don't care if it is close to the property line at all and are in fact excited for us and said they would like to get eggs from us in the future. So we don't see why it should matter.

Here is a photo of Croquette (polish) and Hennessy (buff orpington) they are wanting to go out into the coop soon! View attachment 2644269
I can’t help you on BC, but I’m my town in Ontario you have to have Bylaw come inspect the coop for placement, construction, etc first. If neighbours agree to waiving the 2.5m distance from the fence, they have to sign a waiver stating that - and can withdrawal their approval at any time.

maybe check the bylaw website for anything like that? Congrats on the chicks!

Hi. Also from Ontario. I really like the advice given by CaptainPoulet about seeing if you can get a waiver. If Bylaw already know you have chickens, you can be pretty sure they will be back to check your set up. Do remember that they are just doing their job and it is not personal. Bylaws like these get put in place because sometime in the past, someone ruined it for the rest of us.
Very cute chicks by the way. Have fun with them.

Question for any one who has ordered from Frey’s hatchery. We were given an extra chick in our order of all pullet day old chicks. We are newbies and this was our first Frey’s order. Is that common? Do they normally add a rooster? It wasn’t shipped, we drove to the location and picked them up. We didn’t notice the extra one until after we left.​
We call it the bakers dozen. Just in case something happens thru transport.

I live in BC and I would have to say we check all your boxes but the affordable housing! Thats why instead of being called British Columbia it is nicknamed Bring Cash over here lol
I, too, am in BC -- the South Okanagan for me-- very hot and sunny, great farming, but OH SO EXPENSIVE!

I have lived in Northern BC, though (Tumbler Ridge area) and honestly the housing up there is reasonably affordable. You do have to contend with bears and winter and things! I don't think they allowed backyard chickens in Tumbler since they're a tiny town that can be a bit strict on the bylaws (probably mostly for bear safety) but we did raise rabbits up there. But, they are a small enough town that you could certainly convince them! There are quite a few areas up north that are very outdoorsy and reasonably priced, though. Just as long as you can contend with the winter.

We are, at some point, moving to Nova Scotia. The housing out east has (historically) been a lot more reasonable, but the prices are absolutely going nuts right now everywhere with the pandemic, so I would honestly wait and see; things may settle down eventually -- or stay the same, but buying into Canada in the height of the pandemic housing boom could certainly be risky. Nova Scotia has areas with a great long growing season as well but again, lots of snow and weather, and sometimes the east coast doesn't have great times with certain amenities in certain areas! (Like reliable health care access, ambulances, and sometimes decent internet.) There really are a lot of great and different places in Canada, you just have to kind of get a feel for what you want, in particular, and then talk to the locals as much as possible to get a good feel for things in a certain area. :)

We have 8 commercial rhode island red pullets. We are completely new at this too, they will be here two weeks tomorrow. So far, it's been a hoot, they definitely each have a distinct personality! As far as production, they're just getting going, 6 eggs today is a new record! 😁

After looking at all of the different breeds, I can totally see having a variety! I don't think I built big enough, lol!
The coop is never big enough! When I started with 6 chicks five years ago ......oh that's plenty. No. I am up to 14 now. That takes alot of control!! Waiting for my Olive Egger! Monday!

Back
Top Bottom