Canadians check in here....

Remember too, that insulated walls tend to hide pests in several forms, so the lighter you on the insulation the better! I've also seen poultry go to town on the foam insulation boards! If you decide they might be a good easy idea for the coop ceiling, just be sure they're out of reach. Don't know what's so tasty about it, but the way they go at it makes it look 10x more desirable than a warm mash with a meal worm topper!
My biggest worry in Niagara would be the damp days, so keep an eye on the moisture levels. I added an exhaust fan for those gloriously wet humid ontario summeìrs, to draw some of that moist air out for super easy cheap fix but it could easily work for the winter too (just watch for dust build up if you do)! But if you really want to get an idea of how warm those little ladies can be, snuggle a hen on a cold day!
Yes, not interested in pests nor having my chickens feast on insulation. The ceiling is out of their reach so will try that. Have to decide whether to try the hard insulation boards on the walls (not the white stuff) or something else. Thank goodness for the windows in the coop. They're screened with an additional heavy screen on top and really help change the air / keep the coop from getting stuffy / damp. Not sure how much the 2 vents at the top help but the windows are great. Long may this fall last before the snow flies!

Manitoba over here first year having feather babies, winter is coming and I'm worried
The first year is always the hardest - for the people not the birds. Think of all those blankets and jackets stuffed with feathers. You could try doing a search on BYC for ideas on how others have handled winterizing their coops.

The first year is always the hardest - for the people not the birds. Think of all those blankets and jackets stuffed with feathers. You could try doing a search on BYC for ideas on how others have handled winterizing their coops.
Such a great point. We often forget that they're equipped with what they need to survive and we often throw our human comforts and conveniences as being necessity for them. There are plenty of birds flying around in even the coldest of winters and they don't have heat lamps and man-made insulated houses to live in. It is my first time having chickens and my first winter, and while I don't have insulation or heat lamps in my coop, I am reminded that feathers are indeed warm, and so long as my ventilation is adequate, they'll be fine.

Such a great point. We often forget that they're equipped with what they need to survive and we often throw our human comforts and conveniences as being necessity for them. There are plenty of birds flying around in even the coldest of winters and they don't have heat lamps and man-made insulated houses to live in. It is my first time having chickens and my first winter, and while I don't have insulation or heat lamps in my coop, I am reminded that feathers are indeed warm, and so long as my ventilation is adequate, they'll be fine.
All great comments for your own areas. Just remember, our country has alot of different variations of temperatures, humidity and winds. Do what you are comfortable with. Do your research for your area. Adjust if you need too and watch the flock closely during the winter. :thumbsup

I work at Home Hardware... we haven't been able to get soil all spring! The suppliers are out!! Getting pressure treated lumber is next to impossible too. Everyone is working on projects that they had always put off.
Hi all!
Anyone live near this⬆️ Home Hardware store?
Screenshot_20211112-212700.png

Back
Top Bottom