Candeling and hatching diary.

in reference to chicken eggs - it's the time when people stop opening the incubator and increase the humidity in preparation for the eggs to hatch, usually on day 18. It's called lockdown because the incubator is "locked down" or not opened again until hatching is complete.

Last edited:
So my average temp has gone up to 100.3 ???? not sure why unless the little warm 100 plus bodies have caused the heat to raise it is still with in recommended levels so I will not complain but just figured every one would like to know about the temp variation. I have also been working harder on the low humidity I would like to see it stay around 23 percent. I am taking day 14 pics now 7 more days to go 4 more days until lockdown. Woohoo

So my average temp has gone up to 100.3 ???? not sure why unless the little warm 100 plus bodies have caused the heat to raise it is still with in recommended levels so I will not complain but just figured every one would like to know about the temp variation. I have also been working harder on the low humidity I would like to see it stay around 23 percent. I am taking day 14 pics now 7 more days to go 4 more days until lockdown. Woohoo

I read that the bodies of the chicks do add heat to the incubator, I'm experiencing that myself now.

Is 23% humidity enough for eggs, especially at the end of the incubation period? Getting shrink wrapped in membranes etc?

I am just joining this conversation - I have 7 eggs under my broody and 4 in an incubator. They went under her/in the bator on 2/27 so today is day 14, correct? One of our 4 hens went broody and so we got a dozen fertilized eggs from a local farmer - mixed breeds (Rhode Island Red, Americauna, Leghorn). It will be fun to see what we get!

I am restraining myself to only candle the eggs in the incubator and let mother nature take it's course outside. I believe I have 2 viable and 2 duds. The shells are quite dark and I haven't looked at them since day 8. But reading this, I think I'll go look at them again!

I wanted to jump in about the humidity. My friend from whom I borrowed the incubator said to keep the humidity between 45-55% and temp at 100*. I've read some articles about increasing the humidity toward the end to 60-70%. Do you agree and if so, when should it be increased?

Great pics, sasimpson77. I really enjoyed seeing them! As a first timer, they were very informative and helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do that!

I read that the bodies of the chicks do add heat to the incubator, I'm experiencing that myself now.

Is 23% humidity enough for eggs, especially at the end of the incubation period? Getting shrink wrapped in membranes etc?

Well 23 % is still a bit low and at lockdown you have to get your humidity up to 50% or you will have shrink wrapped chicks I do the dry hatch method but really have found that the air cells dictate what you need to do.

Back
Top Bottom