Candeling

teaton

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
Clarksville, TN
So yesterday I noticed my production red hen puffed up and I freaked out only to find she was broody. She had a clutch of 13 eggs! So I candeled them last night only to see speckles, but I put them back in the box anyway. Today I candeled them again because she went from 13 to 15 eggs! She's stealing someone's ;) anyway 12 had visible veining, 11 moved when turned 1 had the most viening but seemed stuck and didn't move. So this is all very new to me and I have alot of questions-1st I want to know if I should toss the egg that doesn't move. 2nd I have no idea what day I'm on, can someone look at these pics and give me a round about? 3rd this is red hens first time going broody she's not even one and not the best sitter so far, what should I do if she doesn't sit, how long should she be sitting? It's defiantly not 24/7! Here's the eggs, thanks!

Last edited:
I would say this is around day 7 and 8 (but I'm not completely sure). I never throw any eggs away before day 15, so I would wait and see with your egg that isn't moving. As it has clear veining, it is alive and should be ok, maybe a bit stuck but will hopefully sort itself out when it grows.Can you see a small black dot in any of them?

Last edited:
No black dot, but I got rather discouraged when I read online that the circle that's in most of my eggs mean they are bad :( besides that my hen hasn't sat on them all day, she's still broody but not sitting. I was thinking about incubating them until I read that they were bad.

Mine look like the incomplete blood ring pic. The question I have is at this point are they still edible or not?

I would keep them in until day 15 and then see as you may mistake them for patterns on the shell or normal blood vessels as it is very hard to see on day 7. They have blood vessels spread around the egg which is a good sign and they black dot is hard to see, I couldn't see mine. Your eggs are probably around day 6-7 actually. Bloodrings are not a good sign as it means bacteria has infected into your eggs which could be because they were dirty or porous (like in the last picture). They are not edible because there have bacteria inside. Make sure to take all the eggs with bloodrings out on the 15 th day, any later and they would explode.

I would keep them in until day 15 and then see as you may mistake them for patterns on the shell or normal blood vessels as it is very hard to see on day 7. They have blood vessels spread around the egg which is a good sign and they black dot is hard to see, I couldn't see mine. Your eggs are probably around day 6-7 actually. Bloodrings are not a good sign as it means bacteria has infected into your eggs which could be because they were dirty or porous (like in the last picture). They are not edible because there have bacteria inside. Make sure to take all the eggs with bloodrings out on the 15 th day, any later and they would explode.
X2

What do you mean like not sitting? They take about a 15 min break every day to eat & poop. I do agree those eggs look bad, but do not toss them just yet.

I am going to candel them again today, and see if anything has changed,if the viens have spidered at all I am going to put them in my diy styrofoam incubator.

So I candeled them again and I think everyone is right, they are all the same, but this one. This is the one that was stuck, it has a blob in the middle now and more viens and it actually moves now, but it still has the ring around it like the dead ones, just more viens. Does the ring mean its dead?

So I candeled them again and I think everyone is right, they are all the same, but this one. This is the one that was stuck, it has a blob in the middle now and more viens and it actually moves now, but it still has the ring around it like the dead ones, just more viens. Does the ring mean its dead?

I'd stick that one in the bator and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom