Candling Brown eggs help

Teena Marie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
SE Washington
I know it is probably an old topic here. I have read most of the posts on the threads but I still have a questions. I have RIRs and I want to start selling eggs. I have bought a candle from a feed store but don't really see much. When you candle eggs are you looking for blood spots or are you looking for fertilized eggs, or are you looking for both? When I eat my eggs and simply remove any tiny blood spot with a spoon before cooking them. I don't have many eggs with spots but I still would feel funny if someone found some and was not happy?
idunno.gif
Thank you

Cant tell if theyre fertile. Set them and candle day 7-10. Looks for veins. By day 14 there will be veins and a dark spot :)

If the eggs are dark and you cant see-set them and remove any that start to stink!

Thanks but I don't want to set eggs. I don't even have a rooster. I just want to be able to sell eggs that don't have the red/brown specks in them. I guess I didn't make myself clear. Can candling tell if the eggs have the spots or is it just for fertility?
I appreciate your advice because I am thinking down the line I would like to try raising some chicks. Thanks again!

From what I read, candling is for internal defects such as meat spots, blood spots, cracked shells and the size of air cells to determine egg grade.

Back
Top Bottom