Candling eggs Day 21

I had a bunch of fertile eggs in my incubator and I was wondering what it looked like on day 21 so I candled just one egg,here is a pic of it,it was just a big blob of black
now look what it is!!!

my turkey hen was off her eggs for a while today i think one of the grand kids must have put her in another pen i put her back as soon as i noticed her off eggs,she went rigth in an sat back down I'm so sad i candled them saw some movement in some but each seem to look different,i don't know really know what I'm doing as this is my first time with turkeys,i hope thay all are not ruined,some look like just a blob,others dont look like nothing an some i can see the eye,moving around them

Today is day 21 was expecting chirping but sadly no...Slow development im not sure, i cant see an airsac just whold egg is dark, like a chick is filling the whole egg, and in the begining i almost through them out but babies maybe.

Last edited:
Today is day 21 was expecting chirping but sadly no...Slow development im not sure, i cant see an airsac just whold egg is dark, like a chick is filling the whole egg, and in the begining i almost through them out but babies maybe.
what if i just been wasting my time hoping.
hit.gif

What few eggs I have left are under the silky hen. I originally had 12 then Thursday there were 7 guess they were eaten by the hens at night . I grabbed four and gave them to silky. On started to pip. The next morning the dead baby chick was on the other side and the white hen had four left. I grabbed the silky, who is very dedicated to eggs that arn't her own, took the four eggs and gave them to her and brought her inside the house with her next. Candled the eggs. Too dark to see inside. Never knew one would brood in dec and jan. just waiting to see. I have 20 hens and one rooster. All different breeds. Just waiting. If its all dark on one side is it viable? Am I wasting time and effort? Silky is very dedicated to these eggs. Do hens know when enough is enough? Why did the hens eat the eggs that my white leghorn was sitting on? I'm new at this, can you tell? Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:
My eggs are dark too. I really don't know either . Perhaps someone with experience can assist us.

What few eggs I have left are under the silky hen. I originally had 12 then Thursday there were 7 guess they were eaten by the hens at night . I grabbed four and gave them to silky. On started to pip. The next morning the dead baby chick was on the other side and the white hen had four left. I grabbed the silky, who is very dedicated to eggs that arn't her own, took the four eggs and gave them to her and brought her inside the house with her next. Candled the eggs. Too dark to see inside. Never knew one would brood in dec and jan. just waiting to see. I have 20 hens and one rooster. All different breeds. Just waiting. If its all dark on one side is it viable? Am I wasting time and effort? Silky is very dedicated to these eggs. Do hens know when enough is enough? Why did the hens eat the eggs that my white leghorn was sitting on? I'm new at this, can you tell? Thanks for any comments.
I have three broodys right now... Eggs are due any day from my silkie

You have three for Silky? Where do you live? I am in VA and the weather is crazy from 10-70 degrees in no time. I put the leghorn chicken egg under silky since she had none of her own but was borrowing the other hens eggs. I gave her leghorns eggs as they were disappearing fast and I saw not one shell so the chicks may have eaten them or could a critter? Hummmm…they are up high in the house. Would chickens eat their own eggs? And not leave a shell? Would it be a critter?

You have three for Silky? Where do you live? I am in VA and the weather is crazy from 10-70 degrees in no time. I put the leghorn chicken egg under silky since she had none of her own but was borrowing the other hens eggs. I gave her leghorns eggs as they were disappearing fast and I saw not one shell so the chicks may have eaten them or could a critter? Hummmm…they are up high in the house. Would chickens eat their own eggs? And not leave a shell? Would it be a critter?
Two silkies, one red.

Back
Top Bottom