candling/hatching question

It's on Day 23 right now, right? That air cell looks really small. It should be bigger by now, like on this chart:

You need to lower your humidity right away, and mist the egg (just the egg, not the whole incubator) maybe a couple times a day. That should help the egg lose some moisture and help the air cell grow bigger.

Ugh!! I thought so since there hasn't been a drastic change! Ok I'll take all water out! I had taken the bowl with the sponge out and it dropped into the 20's so I put a tiny bowl with just enough water to cover the bottom at it was staying around 40. But took it out and sprayed the eggs. Maybe it won't drop too low! Boo! This is for the birds! LOL Next time I'm using a REAL incubator!! Haha

Ugh!! I thought so since there hasn't been a drastic change! Ok I'll take all water out! I had taken the bowl with the sponge out and it dropped into the 20's so I put a tiny bowl with just enough water to cover the bottom at it was staying around 40. But took it out and sprayed the eggs. Maybe it won't drop too low! Boo! This is for the birds! LOL Next time I'm using a REAL incubator!! Haha
I've used home-made incubators and "real" incubators and the natural way too. There's going to be problems with each.

Yeah, air cell size is the best way to monitor what the humidity needs to be in your incubator. Some need it really high, some need it really low. Your egg right now needs the humidity to be as low as possible. This guy might have trouble hatching out since the air cell is so small, you might end up with a "sticky chick" (do a search on here on that for more info). But with some luck you can get the air cell to grow in size enough before hatch time. Cutting it kind of close now, but there is always hope. Never lose hope! :)

:( I'll see what I can find on that topic! I've not had any water in there for about 5 hrs (except for misting the egg) and my humidity is at 31%. It may drop more over night..we shall see I guess!

tbevans
frow.gif
I'm in central LA. I know where you are. You're only 3 to 4 hrs from me. I too am hatching duck eggs, and I'm a newbie at hatching duck eggs. 19 was my set date. so don't feel so bad, humidity here is
barnie.gif
killing me too. no rain, and then -seems like as soon as I set the eggs, humidity jumped to 150% outside. Louisiana humidity, "there is no place like home." We'll do better next time.

tbevans   :frow  I'm in central LA. I know where you are. You're only 3 to 4 hrs from me.  I too am hatching duck eggs, and I'm  a newbie at hatching duck eggs. 19 was my set date. so don't feel so bad, humidity here is :barnie  killing me too.  no rain, and  then -seems like as soon as I set the eggs, humidity jumped to 150% outside. Louisiana humidity, "there is no place like home."  We'll do better next time. 

Oh cool!! What kind of ducks do you have/are you hatching?? Ugh....the humidity...horrid! Lol we Def aren't lacking in that department! Haha!!

Yeah, air cell size is the best way to monitor what the humidity needs to be in your incubator. Some need it really high, some need it really low. Your egg right now needs the humidity to be as low as possible. This guy might have trouble hatching out since the air cell is so small, you might end up with a "sticky chick" (do a search on here on that for more info). But with some luck you can get the air cell to grow in size enough before hatch time. Cutting it kind of close now, but there is always hope. Never lose hope! :)

I've been keeping a close eye on the air cell and it doesn't seem to be changing much..maybe a slight change, but nothing drastic. Still good movement when I candle tho. My biggest concern is the humidity. Right now it's in the high 20's. I know you said I needed to get it as low as I could, but how low is too low?? I have lockdown coming quickly and I'm stressing out!

It will take awhile for the air cell to grow bigger, but it should get a little bit bigger each day with the lower humidity. Nothing is "too low" at the moment since your air cell is so small, so don't worry about that. It will just need humidity again once it pips the shell (starts to hatch out) so that the membrane doesn't dry out inside. For now it needs to be as low as possible, so no worries!

Back
Top Bottom