BeardedChick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
The Witness Protection Program
---------------------------------
First Picture

Ok, this is a not-very-dark "Blue Cuckoo Marans" egg. This egg is at about day 10.

maransegg.jpg

It has a dark-ish blob/shadow near the top that I got a picture of. If you candle from the top, you can see an aircell.

What am I looking at? Is this egg likely viable or not? I don't think it's clear, because the clears are much brighter when candled.

Second Picture

This is a BBS Orp egg which was on day 7. It had a blood ring, so I decided to carefully open it & eggtopsy it. There was a tiny embryo inside.

Now I am wondering - should I have left it alone? Do blood ring eggs ever make it to hatch?

BRegg.jpg

My opinion...The top egg doesn't look great because I see no veining or embryo but...I would not toss til day 14, when you candle again and down from the top. I always candle from the top down so I can see how the air sac is doing too.

The second egg...a blood ring means the embryo at some point has died off, there is no further development as it's dead. So the only thing that would happened with a blood ring is maybe it would seep with bacteria growth or explode.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but egg #1 looks either clear or like an early quitter to me (early quitter would be my best bet), at day 10 you should be able to see a good size "blob"

Egg #2 i'm not 100% sure about, yes it looks like a blood ring and even at day 7 it should of been a little more full !! When you cracked it open was it dead or did it die ?

The second one is a blood ring and will not hatch. It is an embryo that started and died sometime during the early stages of incubation.

The first one is hard to tell since it is not upright, I don't see an aircell to see how it developed. Do you turn your eggs upside down to candle?

Jody

A couple more pictures of the Marans egg (top candled) - the aircell is easy to see, though not great in the picture.

maransegg2.jpg

I drew a line where the aircell is. My understanding is that the dome you see in the aircell would be where the embryo would be??

maransegg3.jpg

That's where the shadow appears to be in the top picture.

Egg #2 i'm not 100% sure about, yes it looks like a blood ring and even at day 7 it should of been a little more full !! When you cracked it open was it dead or did it die ?

The embryo never moved. It was tiny, maybe a centimeter in length. I think/hope it was dead.​

The first one is hard to tell since it is not upright, I don't see an aircell to see how it developed. Do you turn your eggs upside down to candle?

Jody, the egg is right side up (big end up) and in the first photo, I have the light on from the bottom. I hadn't figured out how to hold the flashlight and the egg and the camera yet. There are some more photos posted of it right side up with the light on top.​

Back
Top Bottom