Canerous tumors

Durelle

Songster
Jul 7, 2019
Kansas
I had a 3 year old silkie hen who appeared lethargic before the weekend but was still eating and free ranging. She was just slow moving. I had given her a warm Epsom bath and vitamins. That seemed to perk her up. Monday, she was off again. This time I noticed her squishy belly when I soaked her. Again, she perked up and was acting fiesty and normal but I made a vet appointment anyway due to the fluid in her belly. Really was thinking water belly. She was full of tumors. The vet said cancer and that she had tumors from her crop down. He couldn't believe she survived as long as she did. He told me he couldn't say what caused the cancer but I shouldn't worry about my other girls. I am still concerned. Anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone heard of this? Last year we put a hen down due to suspected egg peritonitis but now I am wondering if maybe she had tumors.

20210629_141141.jpg
Picture of my girl.

Sorry about the diagnosis. Tumors can be common in 2 viruses, Mareks disease and avian lymphoid leukosis. Did the vet put her down? If so, do you still have the body? The state vet can perform a necropsy on the body or tumor tissue to test for those diseases.

Sorry about the diagnosis. Tumors can be common in 2 viruses, Mareks disease and avian lymphoid leukosis. Did the vet put her down? If so, do you still have the body? The state vet can perform a necropsy on the body or tumor tissue to test for those diseases.
He put her down and I asked for a necropsy. At the time, we both thought her bowels had exploded. She seemed to be retaining alot of fluid. I couldn't get her in until close of day yesterday. She was still eating and wandering around. She even was running but with a waddle. I was shocked how bloated she was. I asked for the necropsy because I wanted to know if it was infectious. He called me and just said what I was feeling were cancerous fibroids and she was loaded with them. He told me they weren't infectious and I shouldn't worry about the rest of the flock. That is all he told me. Thank you for your response. I was just reading about Avian leukosis Virus. That is only thing that sounds close to what he explained to me. I really appreciate your input. It helps put my mind at ease.

Back
Top Bottom