Canning and Home preserving

Pics
I do crabapple jelly, several types of jam (all low sugar with the pink boxes of sure gel pectin) and tomato sauce. I haven't pressure canned, since seeing my mom's pressure cooker blow once when I was very young. It was impressive, and it's not happening here!
Once you do home made jams and jellies, store bought is terrible.
Marmalade! It's the best, and different every batch, depending on what mix of lemons, oranges, and tangerines, and their varieties, go into the pot.
Otherwise, love the freezer!
Mary

My home canned stuff isn't less expensive than the cheaper store bought, but it tastes MUCH better, and I know what went into each jar. Like having chickens at home. Better, not less expensive.
Boiling canned veggies and meat for 15 to 20 minutes when planning to eat it, before tasting even a little morsel, will destroy that botulism toxin. Food safety and survival!
Mary

Glad I found this thread, I love canning. I have an All American pressure canner that I love. I also have water bath canners. I can veggies, beans and meat. I have pressure canned my own corned beef hash and it turned out really good. Just a bit drier then the stuff you get from the store, so next time I will add some fat to it. The one thing I don't can is tomatoes. Unless you want the store them for longer then about 8 months, it's a waste of time. I just wash, core and put them in a freezer bag and freeze them. When you take them out, let them thaw and the skins slip right off. Then I just crush them with my hands and add to whatever I am using them for. They are just like the canned ones.

For all who fear the pressure canner, almost all come today with a safety relief valve. If you error, well worst case scenario you'll peel the paint off your ceiling.

About botulism. Always take the rings off your jars after canning. Never use the contents of a jar that pops it's lid. Inside the pressure canner at 10 pounds of pressure at low altitude you'll achieve sustained temps of 240+ degrees, which is the temp that kills botulism.

I'm not going to get into the science and I can't spell a lot of the words without a dictionary at my side, but botulism spores are in the air we breath. The most toxic substance many of us have is that jar of olive oil setting on the counter with garlic and herbs. Botulism needs an anaerobic environment to grow the toxin. Oil meets that requirement. Most of us will take that oil and put it a pan heated to 350 degrees to cook with... That's enough to kill the toxin. Those who dip their bread in it, are generally ingesting such small amounts of the toxin that it just doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom