Canning and Home preserving

The offset of the center brace is just to allow access to nail or clamp it directly. I can't get them dead center or I am wasting space based on Ball Jar dimensions.

I have a 15 gauge finish nailer and will use titebond wood glue on all joints and with pocket screw underneath or just finish nails in from the side to hold the shelf until the glue sets. I don't have a good enough table saw to make all the dado cuts for them. I have a biscuit cutter and haven't seens if I can lay it flat for sides.

Its still a working design until i am finished. It will hold the weight fine and 1/2 plywood might also. Screwing tot he wall is highly important.

Last edited:
Doing another batch of salsa today. Ive finally got blanching the tomatoes down to a science. Last year I kept them in the pot too long and they were very mushy and juicy to cut. I picked 12 ripe tomatoes that were absolutely huge. I realised I should have picked them sooner because I had to throw one out. I have a large stove pot on the stove reducing the salsa down now. Just have to get the canner and jars ready. I've got several on the vine out there that arent quite ready yet so it looks like I'll be doing this again Friday

@archeryrob Looks like you have a good plan. With the wood glue in all the joints, you will be good to go.
I thought I was the only nerd who drew up construction plans on AutoCAD, lol. My DH thinks I am weird to do that, but he sure does like that I can check any dimension when he builds stuff for me.;)
How about a nerd that draws in Solid Designer.... LOL. Autocad, Solid Works, Pro engineer, Table napkins, and just about any soft ware she can get her hands on.

my first Cad Software was RoboCad. During the the Floppy Disk days. :gig :oops: My first computer was an 8088 that i built my self. But AutoCad is my first love. Taught myself that over a two week Christmas Vacation. When I started I could open a file make a line or two and save it. By the end of Vacation I had completed two Drawing conversions from paper to Disk, And knew more about AutoCad than the engineer that hired me to do the drawing conversions.

my last drawing in Solid Works before that computer died.

wheelie flipped big coop 6.jpg

Here is a snap shot of the original before my computer died... its easier to see on the plan view above. Though.
flipped big coop new background.jpg

when i am designing though I always draw it up on paper.
The offset of the center brace is just to allow access to nail or clamp it directly. I can't get them dead center or I am wasting space based on Ball Jar dimensions.

I have a 15 gauge finish nailer and will use titebond wood glue on all joints and with pocket screw underneath or just finish nails in from the side to hold the shelf until the glue sets. I don't have a good enough table saw to make all the dado cuts for them. I have a biscuit cutter and haven't seens if I can lay it flat for sides.

Its still a working design until i am finished. It will hold the weight fine and 1/2 plywood might also. Screwing tot he wall is highly important.
I am a designer of metal but have had some experience knocking together projects in wood. I love your design my only concern is considering the space you need to get your fingers in to remove a jar, Especially one that is pushed back some.

You are so right about the capacity of the ply wood. I envy anyone who has good wood working tools and knows how to use them.

Also necessary to attach to walls here in California especially.

My first pantry design on paper. I have since scaled it Wayy down.

deb

@archeryrob , will offsetting those center supports be right/ Should they be directily under each other instead?
How will the shelves be attached to the framing?
Just nervous about the weight, and have had bad experiences...
I'm not a carpenter!!!
Mary
I am not the designer but I am certain the offset will be just fine. If I am not mistaken there is a back on it. So Glued and screwed or nailed it should be awesomely strong.

deb

I thought I was the only nerd who drew up construction plans on AutoCAD, lol. My DH thinks I am weird to do that, but he sure does like that I can check any dimension when he builds stuff for me.;)

No I found planning ahead has saved me a lot of time and trouble. I know what is going to fit and how. I did the garage and gable roofs on it and had all the angles planned out before the wood even showed on site. I use ti for work and designing remote cabinets. I know which parts will fit in which cabinets without evening having to have the parts to check it. It is a very useful tool.

I think it will be tight, but I could also opt out of a jar space. If tight I can grab by the neck of the jar and they should be rotated with new in the back of the same type. If we get that many jars full, my daughter needs to stop canning!!!

Yes, they will probably be a 1/2" plywood back probably set into dado grooves. I need it to square and strengthen and to screw to the wall. At 850 pounds someone climbing this could die if it fell over.

Last edited:
@archeryrob Looks like you have a good plan. With the wood glue in all the joints, you will be good to go.
I always figured that if I could draw it up, that I could build it. I can build things without drawings but the drawings help.

Haha, my daughter made cowboy candy the night before and she tasted the sauce and was like Mumm. She wanted to eat one, preface, shes not a very hot food lover. I warned her the capsaicin needs to leach out into the sauce, that is why they say to rest it two weeks and to let it pickle. NOPE, she tossed one it and about cried and spit it in the trash can. running for a cup and milk. :lol: I ate two and tossed out a yea, they are a bit hot.

22 and she still doesn't listen very well. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom