Canning and Home preserving

Haha, my daughter made cowboy candy the night before and she tasted the sauce and was like Mumm. She wanted to eat one, preface, shes not a very hot food lover. I warned her the capsaicin needs to leach out into the sauce, that is why they say to rest it two weeks and to let it pickle. NOPE, she tossed one it and about cried and spit it in the trash can. running for a cup and milk. :lol: I ate two and tossed out a yea, they are a bit hot.

22 and she still doesn't listen very well. :lol:
Never heard of cowboy candy. Based on your description I was thinking your daughter was MUCH younger. It took me until I was 28 to listen to my father's advice. We all get there sooner or later but for some of use its later or never and regret it. Theres still some things I dont listen to him about...but its mostly because its his opinion and he doesnt have all the facts. In that case to be respectful I just ask him to "trust me".

Parents get smarter as children get older! My parents certainly did, and our children seem to think that we've gotten smarter over time too.
Maybe in a few more years, she'll think the same?
Then there's the parent's curse; "may you have children just like you!".
Mary
My mother cursed me with that. My SO's mother said it to him too. I pray its one more like me and not him. I'd have my hands full. Apparently there was a day when my SO was 4 he said "I wont do that no more, mommy" when she asked "do what?" He said "go on the roof" 😱

I always use vinegar to wipe the rims of the jars, but canning butter is a new one on me. I make ghee and know that I can store it in the cupboard for a month or so and it is still good, but it has the dairy solids removed at that point.

A friend of mine was showing me her food storage once and she had a dozen jars of butter and I asked her about how she canned them. She just melted the butter and put it the hot jars, turned them over and let them seal. I said that I didn't think that would be safe storage since it was a dairy product that needed to be kept cold; but she had been told by a fellow church goer that it was the way to do it. A month later I got a message from her saying that I was right, all that butter went bad. :(

I may have to try canning butter sometime. And maybe can some ghee. It would be nice to have on hand whenever I need it.

Since dairy is now against the government’s food safety guidelines (I don’t think any of us care), you have to be as safe as you can. It should be treated as a meat. In her case, that was 75 minutes. It stores 3-5 years pressure canned.
If you aren’t pressure canning, it should be shelf stable about three months. Shake as it cools to keep it uniform.

I always use vinegar to wipe the rims of the jars, but canning butter is a new one on me. I make ghee and know that I can store it in the cupboard for a month or so and it is still good, but it has the dairy solids removed at that point.

A friend of mine was showing me her food storage once and she had a dozen jars of butter and I asked her about how she canned them. She just melted the butter and put it the hot jars, turned them over and let them seal. I said that I didn't think that would be safe storage since it was a dairy product that needed to be kept cold; but she had been told by a fellow church goer that it was the way to do it. A month later I got a message from her saying that I was right, all that butter went bad. :(

I may have to try canning butter sometime. And maybe can some ghee. It would be nice to have on hand whenever I need it.
Clarifying butter or taking the further step of browning the milk solids before removing them in order to make it ghee will make it shelf stable. To preserve the best flavor, it's best to refrigerate or store in a cool, dark place. I keep a jar on the counter and the rest in the fridge. As far as I know, you're not supposed to can milk. Not saying it won't work. Butter contains milk solids, which are removed when making clarified butter, or browned and then removed for making ghee.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom