Canning meats

mhaines4102

Songster
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Stroud, Oklahoma
I don't know how many of you ever canned meats, but until this year, I had not. I am a pastor and spend a lot of time visiting elderly folks. Of course, they canned most everything; sausage, pork, chicken, everything. Last year we had a power outage during the ice storm. We were down for 6 days. Fortunately for us, it stayed right at or near freezing the whole time, so we were able to keep our freezer, err, frozen. So this year I decided to can pork. We just butchered 2 pigs and as I was cutting up the meat, I pealed off about 10 pounds of pork for canning. IT IS AWESOME!

Put it in the crock pot with barbeque sauce and it rivals any pulled pork you've had. It is light, tasty and easy.
tongue.png

One caveat, don't let your family see the jar of it before they eat it. Because it looks nasty!

I haven't tried chicken yet, but that is next. Have any of you canned chicken?

I am a city girl that married a farmer. Since before we married, I have been helping to 'process' a hog. After it is killed, skinned and gutted, we get the rest. From that we grind and mix our own sausage, slice pork chops, tenderloin and ribs. From some of the shoulder meat, I always fill a canner. You are right it looks like a science experiment gone bad. But the taste is delicious. We usually cook ours in a skillet, remove the meat and make gravy from the drippings. Put the meat on your biscuit and cover with the gravy. Mmmm - it is a great breakfast. You can also do the same thing only put it over mashed potatoes, noodles, etc.

I can chicken on a regular basis, get a ggod buy put it in a roast pan and cook , cool a bit seperate out bones , skins ,skim fat then can 90 minutes.

Yes, we've canned pork, chicken, and turkey. Grandma used to do homemade sausage, which was wonderful. From what we read, the pork doesn't need precooked. It cooks during the pressure canning process. For poultry, we either roast or boil it and remove it from the bone. Pack it into jars with some broth and pressure can.

I agree that is is wonderful having meat on the shelves for a quick meal base. I also like that it is safe during power outages. I'll have to try barbecuing the pork.

I am new to pressure cooking. Have only done turkey stock and chili so far. I was interested in this thread and have to ask, Do you cook the chicken all the way before you can?

Also, why couldn't you can the pork with some BBQ sauce as the liquid? It would infuse in the meat. I bet it would be good unless there is some canning rule I don't know that prohibits this. Anyone know?

The turkey and chicken I canned was cooked completely so I could get it off the bone.

I think you could can pork in barbecue sauce. The vinegar and sugar in the sauce would probably help the meat last even longer.

I'm pretty new to pressure canning too.
smile.png
It still intimidates me a bit.

Back
Top Bottom