Can't catch aggressive rooster

I 've had adult roosters, one or two years old, decide to become human aggressive, twice. Neither time did it end well, as the idiots gradually developed unwanted behaviors. When you've had experience with cock birds, good and bad, it's easier to tell what they are thinking, before the actual attacks happen. And most of us become much less tolerant or forgiving of early signs of human aggression, because never/ nearly never is it a fixable problem. @BigBlueHen53 , the only real reason I wasn't in real trouble with our first attack bird, is that he weighed maybe 1.5 pounds, and I was ready for him. That sounds like an awful 'near death' experience!!!
I've had close calls with our horses and cattle, and remember every episode...
Mary

I 've had adult roosters, one or two years old, decide to become human aggressive, twice. Neither time did it end well, as the idiots gradually developed unwanted behaviors. When you've had experience with cock birds, good and bad, it's easier to tell what they are thinking, before the actual attacks happen. And most of us become much less tolerant or forgiving of early signs of human aggression, because never/ nearly never is it a fixable problem. @BigBlueHen53 , the only real reason I wasn't in real trouble with our first attack bird, is that he weighed maybe 1.5 pounds, and I was ready for him. That sounds like an awful 'near death' experience!!!
I've had close calls with our horses and cattle, and remember every episode...
Mary
Thanks, Mary. I honestly think that was yhe first truly aggressive animal I ever encountered, with the possible exception of a dog I was training, but I was forewarned about him and ready for him -and I wasn't the object of his intent.

I agree. Continuing to kick him every day is not good management and won't solve the problem. Please keep him confined until you can humanely dispatch him or otherwise dispose of him by rehoming him with full disclosure as previously mentioned.
Believe me, I feel terrible but It's such a reflex at this point. Today I ended up hitting him in the breast when he came at me because I was startled. It really doesn't matter if I'm supposed to be used to it. I can very easily forget these things SO fast (thanks past concussions)

I know I probably sound like a terrible owner but I don't WANT to harm him. And the thought of killing him just sends me to tears. Please understand, I'm doing what I can... I feel guilty as is because I feel like I failed him.

Truthfully, you are giving human emotions to a birds whose brain is a the size of half a walnut. His testicals are 3 times that size. The birds they were when they were chicks are NOT the birds they are now.

Even Bambi will hardly notice he is gone. They really are not BFF kind of pets.

Mrs K
Caring too much is my weakness, pet or not.

Believe me, I feel terrible but It's such a reflex at this point. Today I ended up hitting him in the breast when he came at me because I was startled. It really doesn't matter if I'm supposed to be used to it. I can very easily forget these things SO fast (thanks past concussions)
You walked into the area with the rooster AGAIN.
You did not put him in a cage that will keep you and him safe from each other.

I don't expect you to just stand there and get attacked without responding.

But I do think you should plan ahead by catching the rooster and putting him in a cage or other pen that you do not go into. It often works well to grab chickens at night, because they don't see well in the dark-- which means he won't be able to see well enough to attack you when you go to grab him.

Or if that really is not an option, try refilling the feed and water dishes in the dark (after sunset or before sunrise), and do not go there at all during daytime. That may work to provide what the chickens need while keeping both you and rooster safe, at least for a few days until you work out something better.

I don't remember if you said-- is he free ranging, or does he live in a coop & run situation?

I know I probably sound like a terrible owner but I don't WANT to harm him. And the thought of killing him just sends me to tears. Please understand, I'm doing what I can... I feel guilty as is because I feel like I failed him.
Everything you do is making you feel terrible.

Change something, so at least you quit getting attacked (and if you are not attacked, you will not kick or hit him, so that is better for him too.) The change could be a cage, it could be giving him away, it could be killing him, it could be anything else that keeps you and the rooster separate enough that he cannot get to you.

However hard it is, I do not think you will feel better by just leaving things the way they are now. Is it really that hard to put the rooster in a dog crate?

You walked into the area with the rooster AGAIN.
You did not put him in a cage that will keep you and him safe from each other.

I don't expect you to just stand there and get attacked without responding.

But I do think you should plan ahead by catching the rooster and putting him in a cage or other pen that you do not go into. It often works well to grab chickens at night, because they don't see well in the dark-- which means he won't be able to see well enough to attack you when you go to grab him.

Or if that really is not an option, try refilling the feed and water dishes in the dark (after sunset or before sunrise), and do not go there at all during daytime. That may work to provide what the chickens need while keeping both you and rooster safe, at least for a few days until you work out something better.

I don't remember if you said-- is he free ranging, or does he live in a coop & run situation?

Everything you do is making you feel terrible.

Change something, so at least you quit getting attacked (and if you are not attacked, you will not kick or hit him, so that is better for him too.) The change could be a cage, it could be giving him away, it could be killing him, it could be anything else that keeps you and the rooster separate enough that he cannot get to you.

However hard it is, I do not think you will feel better by just leaving things the way they are now. Is it really that hard to put the rooster in a dog crate?
I am trying my best here... But I can only do so much until I get overwhelmed. I don't know what option to go with and I have a hard time catching him. No matter what option I choose, giving away or killing, ot sends me to tears. I'm trying not to cry as I type this.

I am trying my best here... But I can only do so much until I get overwhelmed. I don't know what option to go with and I have a hard time catching him. No matter what option I choose, giving away or killing, ot sends me to tears. I'm trying not to cry as I type this.
Do you have any kind of a cage or crate you can put him in?

If yes, I would suggest you get it set up (food, water, bedding, suitable location.) Then after dark tonight, grab the rooster and put him in.

Do you have any kind of a cage or crate you can put him in?

If yes, I would suggest you get it set up (food, water, bedding, suitable location.) Then after dark tonight, grab the rooster and put him in.
I've tried picking him up at night. Just the other night he was calm and laying in my hands perfectly, even perching on my arm calmly. But then the very next day he was back to attacking me.

The only crate I have is the one I use to transport my pig to the vet. It is large, I'd just feel bad separating him from the flock. I just wish I knew where I went wrong with him and why he changed from a cuddly roo to a little prick that cuts my legs up....

The only crate I have is the one I use to transport my pig to the vet. It is large, I'd just feel bad separating him from the flock.
Can you put the crate next to the flock? Inside their run, or next to the run, or something like that. That would keep him from feeling as lonely.

I've tried picking him up at night. Just the other night he was calm and laying in my hands perfectly, even perching on my arm calmly.
Good. That means you will be able to get him into the crate without hurting you or him.

But then the very next day he was back to attacking me.
I just wish I knew where I went wrong with him and why he changed from a cuddly roo to a little prick that cuts my legs up....

You probably did not do anything wrong. Some roosters just do that.
He is not smart enough to see the consequences (getting rehomed or killed.) But you can see that he is still doing it, and that you need to do something (like putting him in the crate, to keep both you and him safe while you make plans for what to do next.)

Back
Top Bottom