Can't catch aggressive rooster

1703158878713.png

Use this fish pond net. Scoop him up when he comes at you, flip the net over, and swing it about and on the ground so he's trapped under the net. You can buy these online or at Bass Pro Shop, Cabellas......

I had a similar encounter with my first rooster, raise them from day one, and you feel attached to the bird, even when they attack and wound you. My finally straw was some puncture wounds in my leg, still purple scars here today. I know it hurts to think about getting rid of him, and giving him away probably feels easier, but please just really think about what could happen. Many if not most people do not see roosters as pets, and can and will fight back/ injure or kill them on the spot. Also think about how he could be a serious threat to someone you give him to, what if the people don’t realize the danger and bring little ones around? A lot of people don’t think chickens can do any damage but let me tell ya they can. I completely understand the feelings of conflict you are enduring, but please just really consider culling this rooster. I finally decided to with mine a while back. It hurt me to have to decide to dispatch of him, but he was a threat and had hurt many people, and in turn had been kicked several times HARD. I didn’t feel like it was fair for us or for him to keep going like we were going. If you decide to cull him, have someone trusted do it, I simply couldn’t so I had a trusted friend do it for me who was willing. I had them pull a few tail feathers that I keep on a shelf to this day, and I buried him out by the woods in a little grass clearing. Probably a lot of people would think it foolish, but it was the way I would be at peace. Just please think about it. If you cull him there’s no pressure or need to eat him.

I had a similar encounter with my first rooster, raise them from day one, and you feel attached to the bird, even when they attack and wound you. My finally straw was some puncture wounds in my leg, still purple scars here today. I know it hurts to think about getting rid of him, and giving him away probably feels easier, but please just really think about what could happen. Many if not most people do not see roosters as pets, and can and will fight back/ injure or kill them on the spot. Also think about how he could be a serious threat to someone you give him to, what if the people don’t realize the danger and bring little ones around? A lot of people don’t think chickens can do any damage but let me tell ya they can. I completely understand the feelings of conflict you are enduring, but please just really consider culling this rooster. I finally decided to with mine a while back. It hurt me to have to decide to dispatch of him, but he was a threat and had hurt many people, and in turn had been kicked several times HARD. I didn’t feel like it was fair for us or for him to keep going like we were going. If you decide to cull him, have someone trusted do it, I simply couldn’t so I had a trusted friend do it for me who was willing. I had them pull a few tail feathers that I keep on a shelf to this day, and I buried him out by the woods in a little grass clearing. Probably a lot of people would think it foolish, but it was the way I would be at peace. Just please think about it. If you cull him there’s no pressure or need to eat him.
Very well said, Pickles. ♥️

Well, he managed to cut my leg today. I think that's the final straw for me, to be honest. I'm thinking of giving him away somewhere. It's just painful because I raised him from when he was 1 day old. :( I really don't want to get rid of him but none of these "training tactics" have been helpful. He literally attacked me today just because I walked up to the fence to say hi to our neighbors roosters. I just don't have the patience and I'm already under a lot of mental stress. I know he's probably just being overprotective, especially of his lady Bambi, but I have a 7 yr old nephew and I don't need or want him to get sliced like I did. I honestly want to cry thinking about it because not only will it affect my emotional state, it'll also affect Bambi's...
You've been given good advice. A lot of us have been down this road before and usually end up at the place you're in. The thing is, that it's hard to find a home for a good rooster, let alone a nasty rooster.

You must be honest so you don't put anyone else in danger and if someone else wants a nasty rooster, it may be for a cooking pot or a fighting ring (I'm sure that's not likely, but people suck and it does happen).

We have a big responsibility to give these animals a good life, but unfortunately, sometimes we have to give them a good death as well.

I'm sure that Bambi would enjoy the company of another hen at some point and you can avoid this issue.

I have taken cockerels to the poultry swap but I have also killed the aggressive ones myself. I quietly pull the offender off the roost before dawn, then I hold him upside down by his feet which immobilizes him. I lay him breast down on the ground, and using the broomstick method, quickly snap the neck. It goes very fast. None of the others in the flock are up to see.
Life after the aggressive one is gone is peace and calm. You’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.

A pet does not attack you. He can do someone some serious harm, especially a child. A pet is not dangerous, and this bird clearly is. Don't think he's not, just because he is small.

So what exactly are you asking? How to catch him? And what do you plan to do with him, once you do catch him?
Ultimately, I think I'm gonna get rid of him somehow. Dunno how but I'll figure it out. Until then, I've just been kicking the hell out of him whenever he flies at my legs with those damn talons. I feel bad kicking him when he attacks but I have no choice. Though, I do have 2 other roosters, Sunny and Trifle, who attack him whenever he attacks me! It's interesting, really, but its shocking me that those 2 protecting me isn't stopping him.

This got me teary eyed to read but yes, I know it's just how life with poultry, and farm animals, can be. It's a heartbreaking decision. Either way, if someone doesn't cull or take him, I know one of my roosters like Trifle and Sunny would. He used to be a very affectionate rooster and I have no idea what happened... He became a different roo when Bambi first went broody. Sunny and Trifle are such affectionate, sweet birds compared to him. They even attack him whenever he attacks me! Which means that... One day, they may get fed up and just gang up on him. If they do, I know all too well that he'd just suffer. I really don't want him to suffer or anything. So... I guess I can give him to someone who may make him their dinner. They can feed their family and my family can go back to peace.

It’s too bad that you couldn’t have placed him and Bambi in their own enclosure. It isn’t his fault really, but they rarely grow out of it. I had an aggressive Australorp cockerel named Scourge. I chose (crazy as it sounds) to give him a chance, and he actually grew out of it enough for me to even be able to pick him up. I totally understand where you’re coming from. I had another very aggressive cockerel. He was amazing with protecting the hens, but he wouldn’t let me go near them without charging at me and anything else that moved (including my cat). I sold him to a guy who wanted a protector for his free range girls. He updated me months later, that it was working out really well for his situation. Ultimately, you have to remove him before anyone gets hurt again. Im sorry you have to make that decision. 😞

Back
Top Bottom