Can't get rid of canker in a bird... is it possible at all?

Sorry, just now saw your reply - yes, we do have pigeons and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about them because the place is open and impossible, at least at this time, to cover with a net or anything like that.

I'm still battling - apart from permanganate and iodine, is there anything else that I could swab the growth (or after I've removed it again, rather) to hopefully burn the yucky things out of his mouth? :(

Really desperate now, the bird is still fighting for his life and eating, and the thing in the mouth keeps growing back over 1 day.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will ask my vet what are the products with this active ingredient in our country (these we don't have for sure, but there might be another brand or something)....

Yeah, me too because this issue is ongoing. Not in large numbers but e.g. at the moment I have 3 birds with is who all live in different areas.

it seems that blue stone (copper sulfate) with vinegar in drinking water works for canker, worms and fungus infections. at least in my case. I put 1 gr of blue stone, a few drops of acv in 2,5 l water for 3-4 days.

Thanks a lot, I am so hesitant to try it although I've read about it, afraid I will poison them with it. How do you measure out such a small amount? Thank you...

Thanks a lot, I am so hesitant to try it although I've read about it, afraid I will poison them with it. How do you measure out such a small amount? Thank you...

if a teaspoon is about 3,5-4 gr I just put a bit more than a quarter. 1 gr of dry blue stone would kill a chicken but 1 gr in 2,5 l will not. some people say to put it in 2 l of water but I prefer 2,5.

I have a pullet that had a very bad fungus infection (I bought her like that). her poop was smelly and area under her went was swollen and dirty. after the blue stone treatment she got better.

when canker returned I needed 2 day treatment only to get rid of it. it probably was some mild form, usually takes up to 1 week.

if a teaspoon is about 3,5-4 gr I just put a bit more than a quarter. 1 gr of dry blue stone would kill a chicken but 1 gr in 2,5 l will not. some people say to put it in 2 l of water but I prefer 2,5.

I have a pullet that had a very bad fungus infection (I bought her like that). her poop was smelly and area under her went was swollen and dirty. after the blue stone treatment she got better.

when canker returned I needed 2 day treatment only to get rid of it. it probably was some mild form, usually takes up to 1 week.

Depending on the powder and the teaspoon, 1 teaspoon of many powders can weigh as little as 2.5 grams or a much as 4 grams.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom