Ronidazole given as paste?

Henni19821603

Chirping
Apr 23, 2019
Hello, I am currently trying to help a friend with a hen that had a bad case of canker. She used Sparrtrix cardinazole tablets. For five days, on an empty crop. Waited two hours after, to give food or water. She was able to remove the sores, especially the big one that blocked the choanal slit! I have advised her to take any removable sores off, and to treat with iodine. She also has ronidazole powder (the kind for pigeons) and I was wondering if that powder can be made into a paste? To give orally? The bird is eating and drinking some, but I doubt she drinks enough of the medicated water to get rid of the canker. The cardinazole definitely didn't get rid of it, it regrows, so I think it's sitting deeper in the crop, make sinuses, although there are no signs of it there. Maybe even deeper in the gut. My question is, we'd need to be able to give her a good dose of the ronidazole, to hopefully start making a dent in the canker lesions. And since she doesn't drink much, we'd need to get it into her at a higher dose. Many thanks for any help!

Hello, I am currently trying to help a friend with a hen that had a bad case of canker. She used Sparrtrix cardinazole tablets. For five days, on an empty crop. Waited two hours after, to give food or water. She was able to remove the sores, especially the big one that blocked the choanal slit! I have advised her to take any removable sores off, and to treat with iodine. She also has ronidazole powder (the kind for pigeons) and I was wondering if that powder can be made into a paste? To give orally? The bird is eating and drinking some, but I doubt she drinks enough of the medicated water to get rid of the canker. The cardinazole definitely didn't get rid of it, it regrows, so I think it's sitting deeper in the crop,
we'd need to be able to give her a good dose of the ronidazole, to hopefully start making a dent in the canker lesions. And since she doesn't drink much, we'd need to get it into her at a higher dose.
If she's not drinking and getting the medication, then it really doesn't matter what meds are being given. Giving a higher dose is not the solution.

Syringe or Tube the medicated water (at the proper dose) into her throughout the day. She needs the medication as well as to stay hydrated.

Birds with canker are carriers, it's not uncommon for them to relapse and to have lesions reappear. It may be something she'll have to treat off and on all the hen's life.
She may want to read up on using Acidified Copper Sulfate to treat her flock's water each month the help reduce the spread and hopefully keep it under control.

There's a lot of threads dealing with canker and treatment here on BYC, use the onsite search to find them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

Back
Top Bottom