Can't get roosters to stop fighting

It is normal for roosters to fight trying to establish the pecking order. I have seven roosters in my new flock of 30 that I picked up at Tractor Supply this spring.

After they started fighting I separated them from the hens into a "bachelor pen". They have no access to the hens and live together in a bachelor pen with a large enclosed outdoor run. For the first day tensions were high, after that they all chilled out. Now they are good with each other and all is calm.

I plan on keeping all my boys so a bachelor pen is ideal for my situation. Not sure what your plans are but I thought I would share my solution with you.

In addition to their coop they have access to a large outdoor pen where they can spread out hunt for bugs and so forth.

Bachelor pen 1.jpg

I totally agree with Mrs. K. Roosters do take experience. They are creature that takes a bit of a knowledge to handle correctly. When I first started keeping chickens I was scared of them. Now I love them, I appreciate them as a creature. But it took 5 years for me to get to this point. Dont rush it. Once solution is a bachelor pen, I had quite a few of my TSC chicks turn out to be roosters so for me a bachelor pen was a perfect solution. I could keep all my boys but not have them with the girls.

But, if they make you nervous, its okay to not be ready to deal with them. They do take a bit of experience.

It is normal for roosters to fight trying to establish the pecking order. I have seven roosters in my new flock of 30 that I picked up at Tractor Supply this spring.

After they started fighting I separated them from the hens into a "bachelor pen". They have no access to the hens and live together in a bachelor pen with a large enclosed outdoor run. For the first day tensions were high, after that they all chilled out. Now they are good with each other and all is calm.

I plan on keeping all my boys so a bachelor pen is ideal for my situation. Not sure what your plans are but I thought I would share my solution with you.

In addition to their coop they have access to a large outdoor pen where they can spread out hunt for bugs and so forth.

View attachment 1783321

We had a black silikie cockerel that was pretty sweet until he passed away about 4 months ago. They are in a small run because they are not old enough to be in our older flock of 7. We decided to keep the Japanese and are tying to re-home the other two. thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
I feel as if roosters get a bad rap. Sure, they can be mean and (sometimes) annoying, but some breeds have great roosters. Plus, this is them just acting like roosters. they for sure take practice to tame. But they keep the hens in line and protect the flock. Our silkie rooster I mentioned in the previous post went down fighting a hawk that was trying to get at one of our Rhode island reds.

:hit R.I.P my raven and whoever here has also lost their rooster.

I totally agree with Mrs. K. Roosters do take experience. They are creature that takes a bit of a knowledge to handle correctly. When I first started keeping chickens I was scared of them. Now I love them, I appreciate them as a creature. But it took 5 years for me to get to this point. Dont rush it. Once solution is a bachelor pen, I had quite a few of my TSC chicks turn out to be roosters so for me a bachelor pen was a perfect solution. I could keep all my boys but not have them with the girls.

But, if they make you nervous, its okay to not be ready to deal with them. They do take a bit of experience.

I may try this with out my Polish and Cochin until they find new families. I can put them in the dog kennel I have the Polish in.

Back
Top Bottom