WhiskeyShadow

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2021
1) Easter Egger Hen, 2 yrs old, getting thinner by the day/significant weight loss
2) Not her normal self, not joining the flock (free range), staying close to coop, puffed up/cold looking, laying down, unable to stand, falls over everytime she tries to stand. Less mobility with each passing day
3) She has been exhibiting symptoms for 5 days.
4) No other birds are acting like her at all.
5) No bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) Nothing I know of has caused this.
7) She is eating Nutrena Country Feeds Egg Producer and drinking. I started giving scrambled eggs to get something in. All is minimal though.
8) Poop looks normal colors (brown/gray/hint of green here and there), but runny and not formed. By the looks of the shavings water is coming out with the feces, or it's very very wet. Mostly stuck to her bum, I can't tell from consistency or from her not being able to stand anymore.
9) I have tried Epsom salt soak bath, cleaning vent area, lubbing vent with vaseline,lobbing again with KY (I thought initially it might have been egg bound, but after this long and no straining to lay egg, it's not)
10 ) My intent is self treatment on my own, closest vet that will take birds is 2 hours away. I will take her if I can't find answers/solution though.
11) She is currently separated from flock inside in Rubbermaid with pine shavings so she is no longer mobile.

Please help! What can I do to help her? I feel like she is dying in front of me 😩

Attachments

• 20210422_142911.jpg
    20210422_142911.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 44
So she's not laying eggs?
She may be having some reproductive issues which can be common in laying hens.
Sometimes the best you can do is make them comfortable and see if their condition improves. Check to make sure the crop is emptying overnight, do offer supportive care seeing that she's eating/drinking, that she's lice/mite free. If she's got any fluid in the abdomen, then sometimes that can be drained to give some relief for a period of time.
Look things over and make sure that she hasn't gotten into anything moldy, toxic or rotten.

Is she able to move her legs or stand? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, puffy, or doughy? Has she laid eggs recently? After 2 the possibility of cancer or reproductive disorders is more common. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would make her as comfortable as possible, and keep food and water within reach. A chicken sling can sometimes make it easier. Here are some examples that can be made at home:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

So she's not laying eggs?
She may be having some reproductive issues which can be common in laying hens.
Sometimes the best you can do is make them comfortable and see if their condition improves. Check to make sure the crop is emptying overnight, do offer supportive care seeing that she's eating/drinking, that she's lice/mite free. If she's got any fluid in the abdomen, then sometimes that can be drained to give some relief for a period of time.
Look things over and make sure that she hasn't gotten into anything moldy, toxic or rotten.
I noticed tonight and last night her crop is empty going to bed at night. I think she's only eating the scrambled egg I give her. Her abdomen is hard, doesn't feel watery or squishy at all. Actually seems almost rock hard. Is there anything to give if she got into anything toxic? They free range on 13 acres, so its a possibility.

A rock hard abdomen I would probably suspect reproductive issues.
Do the best you can to get her hydrated, then see if she will eat a little wet feed. I've had some hens perk up after a couple of days and live longer, but have also had that continued to decline.

A rock hard abdomen I would probably suspect reproductive issues.
Do the best you can to get her hydrated, then see if she will eat a little wet feed. I've had some hens perk up after a couple of days and live longer, but have also had that continued to decline.
I'll try giving her electrolytes tomorrow. The more I research, the more confused I am. Just hope I can help her make it at this point. Thank you for all your help, I greatly appreciate it

I'll try giving her electrolytes tomorrow. The more I research, the more confused I am. Just hope I can help her make it at this point. Thank you for all your help, I greatly appreciate it
You’re not alone in that, companion animal “dogs cats” medicine falls short of human medicine, avian exotic medicine “parrots” is years behind that, “poultry” is behind even that. The best health and medical advice for ducks, geese, and chickens comes from the educated owners here, or by researching parrot health articles and forums, because a lot of it is the same.

Back
Top Bottom