Cantankerous neighbor

Ugh, I can't see the comments on the editorial!!! It never ceases to amaze me how "cantankerous" some people can be! I'm sorry you are having to deal with mean people :(

And the saga continues. He informed my husband that if he trespasses on his property again he will have him arrested. My husband replied with a shocked and unknowing "What?!?" He has my husband on tape going into his yard on Friday with our chuckit to retrieve our dogs ball that he couldn't find. Then he walked back to our side of the grass. There is no fence. We live in the country. Ugh. He told Sean that he has friends in the police department and would have him arrested. He already reported Sean. My husband has never been in trouble with the law. He has never been in a fight. He is a peaceful and respectful man. He has been active duty for 16.5 yrs and is now a reservist. He would lose his security clearance if something stupid happened. So now...we as a family have informed our children they are not to go to their house for anything. They are not to speak to him. If he starts talking to them they have our permission to turn and walk away. Only with this adult though. If they do it to any other adult they will find themselves in hot water. The neighbors son can come over and play if his dad let's him. But our family is going no where near the property line. It is so sad. We live in the country. I don't have any other neighbors near my age. I hate that there are problems. We moved the coop on the other side of our property so they can't smell them or hear them. We apologized for anything we have done to upset them. But...alas...our landlord said it best...we can't change his personality. He is a grumpy man. :(

Ugh, I can't see the comments on the editorial!!!  It never ceases to amaze me how "cantankerous" some people can be!  I'm sorry you are having to deal with mean people :(

If you scroll down the there is a red button that says comments....past the ads and other links. Above a red button labeled videos. Flibbert is think your response was perfect.

Well, in this case, it is your responsibility to keep them out. We let ours out when we are home. They **** all over our deck and we have made a gate to keep them from going up there. We accommodate them because they are ours, but having your neighbor's chicken **** all over your back yard kind of sucks. We have brush on the one side and back of our lot and they do not go out that way. But out neighbors have a garden and once they started hanging out over there and in the slop pile they put their kitchen scraps in, I knew it was time to do something. (They are Mennonite and are totally cool with the chickens, but did not want to wear out our feathered friends welcome). We bought some simple fencing with wire and steel poles you pound in. Very easy. My husband made a gate to access from that side. It works well and is surprisingly sturdy. I think the ends and corners are done with a real wood pole, but the rest are just metal angle iron. The fencing is maybe 3' tall. They do not fly over it. They can get out of our right on the side where the brush is and walk around the house to the other side, but once they got used to not going over there, they stay in the back yard or in my front garden, which I don't mind and call them the gardeners. :) We also fenced our own garden but will allow them access after we harvest for clean up and aeration. Let them earn their keep. Good luck but don't mess with neighbors.......see my post on our new neighbor harassing us about our roosters. (not the one we put the fence up for). I also am generous and share my eggs with neighbors. Of course, the complainers will get no more. :)

And the saga continues. He informed my husband that if he trespasses on his property again he will have him arrested. My husband replied with a shocked and unknowing "What?!?" He has my husband on tape going into his yard on Friday with our chuckit to retrieve our dogs ball that he couldn't find. Then he walked back to our side of the grass. There is no fence. We live in the country. Ugh. He told Sean that he has friends in the police department and would have him arrested. He already reported Sean. My husband has never been in trouble with the law. He has never been in a fight. He is a peaceful and respectful man. He has been active duty for 16.5 yrs and is now a reservist. He would lose his security clearance if something stupid happened. So now...we as a family have informed our children they are not to go to their house for anything. They are not to speak to him. If he starts talking to them they have our permission to turn and walk away. Only with this adult though. If they do it to any other adult they will find themselves in hot water. The neighbors son can come over and play if his dad let's him. But our family is going no where near the property line. It is so sad. We live in the country. I don't have any other neighbors near my age. I hate that there are problems. We moved the coop on the other side of our property so they can't smell them or hear them. We apologized for anything we have done to upset them. But...alas...our landlord said it best...we can't change his personality. He is a grumpy man.
sad.png
That stinks...might be a good idea to be proactive and report his behavior to the police or sheriff....they may already know he's trouble.

Wow it's amazing how quickly someone can change their tune. My neighbor told me he missed hearing my rooster when I got rid of him. I don't miss it lol but he did. I hope things calm down for you soon. Ridiculous how people can be.

Last edited:
Our neighbor sent this to the news paper editor. Never even said a word to us. What do you think of our comment back?

http://www.heraldonline.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article31275200.html
Shes an ***. Many people think that the sight of a chicken running around makes their place look like a Beverly hillbillies set....she sounds like the kind of neighbor who would complain about your grass not being quite green enough to suit her high standards...are you new to the neighborhood? And I guess she's been around for a while...she doesn't seem to be to thrilled with gardens for vegetables either...probably feels gardens are for flowers....grocery stores are for vegetables...she's got to draw a line somewhere!!! All this self sufficiency is getting out of hand!!! The Nerve of those people!!! Wanting to raise their own chickens and EGGS!!!

I believe Reynard was a fox that was running around the city awhile back. And for those who brought up the link and could not find my response here it is. BTW haven't heard a peep out of her since.

Dear Martha,

Astonished? Of all the joys of life that we value here in Rock Hill, maintaining a hen house in our neighborhood is something we believe makes our city great. Just the ability to combine an old-fashion way of life within our city limits is something that we believe adds value to Rock Hill. It does not diminish it, as you suggest.

To be clear, there are specific guidelines in the Rock Hill ordinances that describe how to properly maintain chickens within our city limits. We follow these to the letter. Also, we have no roosters at this time, although I do prefer the sound of a rooster crow in the morning over a dog barking at night.

Most importantly, though, are the lessons and experience that we gain from raising our own food here in the city. Teaching our families both the responsibilities and rewards of raising chickens in the backyard, and enjoying their eggs, just does not compare to the shopping carts and check out lines you offer as an alternative.

Omelet, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom