Capillaria

Quote: That's a very good question. Some people use dolomite lime and mix it in soil, then water it in while birds are absent from the ground being treated. That is supposed to make soil inhospitable to bad bacteria but don't know about its effectiveness on worm eggs. A problem would be the amount of lime used since lime could certainly burn bird's feet. Parasitic worm eggs are very sturdy and can last in the ground for months and years.

Would the same 5 day regiment be required with Albendazole too? I've done 3 day frequencies before, but tend to be a bit overly cautious. For instance, Trifen Avicola (Albendazole) directs dosage two 70 mg tabs 3 days in a row for large hens.
Multiple days will probably get 100% of the worms. Where's that study that shows the percentage of albendazole at the different levels?

-Kathy

By virtue of our warm moist soil most of the year, to me and others around here, it's easier to worm the birds more often. The soil here is loaded with all kinds of critters you cant see.

Not with valbazen (albendazole.) It stays in the system slowly killing worms over a period of about 3-5 days. This is why I recommend valbazen as a first time wormer. There's no chance of toxic dead worm overload, not like other wormers when there's a massive worm kill off. When dealing with tapeworms though, I always recommend 24 hour withholding of feed, increased dosage, and dosing once every 4th or 5th day at three intervals.
ReguIar worming with valbazen; I do an initial worming, then reworm again 10 days later.
Glad you posted this... Not that I doubt you, but do you know where I can find this info?

-Kathy

Quote:
Search through Pine Groves posts, you'll find it.
I did a quick search and found this:
Valbazen is the safest first time wormer..Valbazen slowly starves the worms over a two-five day period, wazine practicly paralyzes on contact often times flushing all the worms(adult roundworms) out at once..It only takes about 30 or 40 adults worms depending on the size of bird to clog the intestines..Theres no other worms that are large enough, Or it would take hundreds of all others combined to cause any harm by a massive kill off, If that be the case the bird would be so emaciated that just the stress of worming would kill the bird anyways...
Does Pin Grove list a source for that info in another post?

-Kathy

Pine Grove IS the expert...trust me.
bow.gif

Albendazole
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2513&Itemid=2786
Mechanism of action of albendazole
The molecular mode of action of all benzimidazoles, including albendazole, consists in binding to tubulin, a structural protein of microtubules. These microtubules are important organelles involved in the motility, the division and the secretion processes of cells in all living organisms. In the worms the blocking of microtubules perturbs the uptake of glucose, which eventually empties the glycogen reserves. This blocks the whole energy management mechanism of the worms that are paralyzed and die or are expelled.
Since cell division is also disturbed, worm egg production and development is also blocked by benzimidazoles, i.e. most of them also have an ovicidal effect.
Albendazole also inhibits a helminth-specific fumarate reductase, an enzyme involved in the energy management of the worm cells as well.

Piperazine
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2524&Itemid=2797
Mechanism of action of piperazine derivatives
Several modes of action have been described for piperazine. It seems that it acts as a reversible inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase (also known as AchE), an enzyme that hydrolyzes acetylcholine (Ach). Ach is a molecule involved in the transmission of nervous signals from nerves to muscles (so-called neuromuscular junctions) and between neurons in the brain (so-called cholinergic brain synapses). AchE's role is to terminate the transmission of nervous signals where acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter (there are several other neurotransmitters). Inhibition of AchE massively disturbs the motility of the parasites. More recently an agonistic effect on GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) neurotransmitters in nerve cells has been also reported.
The bottom line for the parasitic worms is that they are paralyzed and die more or less quickly or are expelled from the gut because they cannot keep themselves attached to the intestinal wall.
It seems that piperazine also inhibits the metabolism of succinic acid in ascarids, which disturbs the energy management of the worms.

Back
Top Bottom