I have caponized a lot of birds and did side by side blind taste tests...and it seems kind of pointless today with the meat birds. I caponized a bunch of Bresse cockerels and the "run of the mill" meat birds tasted way better...even after feeding the Bresse cracked corn in whole milk for three weeks before slaughter. The surgical component was fun but seemed totally pointless with today's chickens
Interesting because that has not been my experience. IMO capons have been far superior in taste. I've had side by side comparisons as well and heritage capons have been superior in flavor and texture. The meat had a firmer texture but also was fattier. Much more rich, with a deeper chicken-y flavor. The carcass / bones made some of the best chicken stock, with much more golden yellow chicken fat compared to the lighter pale yellow/ whiteish chicken fat from standard meatbirds. Hands down the best tasting chicken I've ever had. Compared to today's chicken, capons are definitely not economical because they eat a lot more and take longer to raise, but the taste (in my opinion as least) is incredible.

I would only do it if you want the challenge and you already have surgical skills. Otherwise, total waste of time....there's no reason if you buy meat chickens.
It's definitely not as cheap as meat chickens, but imo worth it for a small homesteader / family farm. Biggest reason is because capons can be kept together in a flock peacefully, whereas roosters will fight and oftentimes you can only keep one. Plus the meat (in my opinion anyways) is far superior. Roosters become tough and stringy pretty soon once their testosterone starts to develop, whereas capons will stay tender and be good to eat even after a year and a half or so.

Back
Top Bottom