Car Vs Truck... First Vehicle

call ducks

silver appleyard addict
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
waterville , canada
Hey there,

So i am going to start saving up for my first vehicle here. I was thinking a car. But than that does not function to great for the hobby farm. I can't fit creates of chickens in a car to go to the butcher. My very first thought 4ish months ago was a truck. Because simply put cars can only carry so much. And i am a country boy. Who knows what animal i might get next (cough) <sheep>. And i might also be starting a small hatchery in the coming years (only time well tell). When i buy expensive items (laptops etc) i get the best i can pay for. Because it will last me. My thinking is i could you know buy a $1000 car and have it last me two years, and not so great in our climate. Or i could spend ~3000 (and i don't mind speending that much at all. Just have to save it :) ) to get an late 90's or early 00's model truck and have it last me for a few more years, and be able to get places when storms hit us. Pick up lot's of feed at once. Get lots of shavings when they are on sale etc.

Consdering i would be only driving to work most cases i would driving for a max of 10 min each way. So fuel usage would be low for both. I know just a tiny bit about vehicles. Hey i waited 6 months after my birthday to get my learners. I could have had my fulls by now. But i did not think i was ready at the time. Now i think i am ready.

Also. Thought of a SUV crossed my mind. But i am not sure if they would be a fit or not. Any advice would be awesome!

Cheers

My first truck was a 1994 f150 with the 5.0. I added a leaf spring in the rear and upgraded the coils in the front. I put a ton (2000 lbs) in the bed routinely. Right now I have a 2004 Chevy (also upgraded suspension) and I think the 94 f150 was better then this truck. I am 19 and I own a landscape company/hobby farm. I will always drive trucks.

If I were you I would get a mid 90's ford. Treat it right and It will last you for years. I regret selling mine every day.

I'd say an old beater truck, too. Look in your area, here there are a lot of older low milage vehicles with good tow packages for a good price. Our area has a lot of folks who hook up the big travel trailer and head south for the winter. The truck's basically been driven to Az and back for a few years, minimal miles otherwise. The older guys who have them take great care of them. Then, they get sick or just too old to travel and sell the rig. We've got some nice deals that way.

Driving that small amount, you're not as concerned with gas milage.

I do hear those old ford f-150s run forever. I'm not the mechanic in the family and not trying to start a brand war lol.

As someone who has literally hauled hay in the trunk of a neon, go for the truck!

I am mechanically inclined so myself, I'd look for an old Ford with a 300 inline 6 engine. They are terribly easy to work on and there is a lot of room in the engine compartment. Inline engines are also a lot easier to rebuild. IMHO.

I still have my 1997 chevy S-10 extended cab pickup that I bought new.mine is a V6 so not the best gas milage but I use it for all sorts of things. I put helper springs in the rear and pull a 2 horse trailer with it. I haul all kinds of things and feed. I've put a mini horse in the back cab.....lol... Its taken me all over....and I still drive it daily. Small trucks are very useful....and mind still feels like I'm driving a far.

I still have my 1997 chevy S-10 extended cab pickup that I bought new.mine is a V6 so not the best gas milage but I use it for all sorts of things. I put helper springs in the rear and pull a 2 horse trailer with it. I haul all kinds of things and feed. I've put a mini horse in the back cab.....lol... Its taken me all over....and I still drive it daily. Small trucks are very useful....and mind still feels like I'm driving a far.
I know a few people with s10's, rangers, and dakotas. They all whish they had a full size once they see how my trucks do compaired to theres. I agree small trucks have there place but if your going to do any kind of real work you need a full size with at least a v8.

Idk about you but I'm wanting a Dodge Cummins because my Grandmother and Uncle are big farmers and they are always needing help with hauling Cattle, Farm Machinery, Hay, etc... So I figured it would help me out with hauling my animals and etc, and also benefit my family, so I think thats what ill be looking for come September...

Idk about you but I'm wanting a Dodge Cummins because my Grandmother and Uncle are big farmers and they are always needing help with hauling Cattle, Farm Machinery, Hay, etc... So I figured it would help me out with hauling my animals and etc, and also benefit my family, so I think thats what ill be looking for come September...
Got one! It's my truck but I let my husband drive it most of the time
wink.png

I love this truck. It's getting high teens for milage, not sure on the year, but it's paid for baby! and it will tow anything, haul hay or firewood, we've put goats and pigs in the back (not together lol) and we really haven't had any big mechanical problems with it.

Now, tires on the other hand.........it's time to buy tires. Thank God for tax returns!

Back
Top Bottom