Cardboard Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestbestbuddy

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
Would a cardboard box inside a garage be good for 1 chicken? Also, does a smoke-filled garage have an effect on chikens?

CornsHouse.jpg

Corn7.jpg

Last edited:
What that little Silkie needs if a buddy unless it's going to be a house chicken. LOL. For now the box will do. Does it get to go outside & peck around in the grass? As for the smoke filled garage no it is not good for it or any other living creature. Also pretty little thing.
big_smile.png

Well, he used to have a brother--or maybe it was a sister (I don't know what gender it was). He's lived in coardboard boxes all his time with us. Should I improve it in any way? How? What's a house chicken? Yeah, we let him run around outside and eat bugs sometime. Though, is a cochroach good for him? My mom gave me the choice of the garage or the unfinished basement. My dad smoked all the time in the garage, but the basement was dark and probably colder. + it was spooky.

Well a house chicken is one that lives in the house with you, sorta like having a house dog or cat. If you have a choice than I say the garage will probably be the better choice. Some people get rabbit hutches that are off the ground to keep their chickens in if they only have a couple. The thing with the box is to always keep it dry. Do not let the food get wet either. Mold can grow on the food and if they eat it can cause them to get sick & possibly die. In your other post I suggested you get a chicken waterer to help keep things dry. Wet is not so good for your little one. Yes cockroaches are ok to eat. Since you only have the one chicken I suggest you spend as much time with it as possible, because they are a flock animal and need to have friends around them most of the time. If you are still in school then it should be ok while you are there. If you have anymore questions please ask. We will help you in anyway we can. What is your chickens name?

Well, I think I'm going to keep him inside at night when it gets cold. My sister told me that cochroaches carry lots of dieases. Ya I have school. My sister named him Corn because he was yellow. I know it's a silly name. What happens if a chicken gets lonely? My mom told me chickens are supposed to be raised together and that rasing one chicken alone is hard.

Before it I seperated the 2 chickens they would chirp loudly looking for each other. When one died for a couple of days Corn was chirping loudly all the time for him bother maybe sister. It was so sad. :'( I wonder if Corn still remebers him/her.

Corn that is a cute name. And your mother is right it can be hard having only 1 chicken. The chirping when they are away from each other is normal. I don't know how long chickens remember things but some people say they do remember for awhile at least.

One thing that may help with Corn's lonliness while you are at school would be to put a mirror in with him/her. And if the garage is dark during the day it would help if he/she had a light of some kind to similate daylight.

How about adding some shavings to the box. It will be better for his/her feet than newspaper. Can you put the box up on a table near a window where it will get a little more sunshine.

Cute little bird, but I agree it needs a buddy, mirror, teddy bear or something to keep it company. Radio with some soft music maybe ?

hhmmm...I could try that. I think the mirror thing is a little evil. What if he tries talking to it?

It won't matter if he tries talking to it. Just seeing the "other" chicken will help him alot. Don't forget to see if your Mom will let you get some pine shavings for his box. They are not expensive at all and a bag will last you a long time. DO NOT GET CEDAR SHAVINGS. They are not good for chickens. Get the plain pine shavings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom