Carport or traditional coop

ktpaco

Chirping
Nov 25, 2015
So I have a chance to start all over with my chickens. I want to do it correctly this time. What started out as just having 3 chickens, ended up becoming 50+ chickens. I have 5 different areas, which on a daily basis is a lot of working filling up waterers and feeders. I want simple - and I have a plan in mind, but my husband thinks we should do this with a carport.

I was going to just buy a large wooden building from lowes, customize it into a chicken coop, with a larger carport being the run. My husband on the other hand seems to think the setup can be all done with one large carport, modifing one end to be the coop and the rest being the run. I just don't if the metal building part is a good housing place for chickens. I could modify, and add some wood walls with windows where the run will be, but I'm still thinking it will still be way to hot in the summer time. Right now power may be an option, but what happens if the power goes out? Then it could possibly be a problem I think, even with ventilation of a large door and windows in place.

Could I get some helpful insight into this? I need to reduce the time I spend taking care of their needs, so I can spend more time enjoying them!

I forgot to mention that! Virginia (I think is considered southwest - I haven't been here long)

My main goal is to keep the flock safe from critters, out of bad weather, enough space, and easy maintenance/feeding/watering. When I am at home, they will be allowed into a large fenced outdoor area, but will be confined to the large run when I'm not there.

All the same chickens, putting them all together (a few will not - due to special needs - those will get housed together).

How big is shed and carport?
Can you free range full time?
Gonna need about 10x20 just to coop 50 birds.

I'm not going to free range the chickens, I don't want them killed by predators. I will let them free range when I'm home and can watch what's going on. Plus I have dogs that could kill the chickens if their paths cross.

I'm really more worried about a metal container verses all wood. I don't know if many people are using a carport to house chickens - wood seems to be what I see. My husband thinks a carport with three sides and a door will work for the coop part (taking approximately a 1/3 of the carport structure) and the rest being the run (with chicken wire top to bottom, around the run part). I'm trying to explain to him that since it is not already common practice, there must be a reason for this. But I'm trying to see if anyone with actual chicken expertise can weigh in on this and let me know their thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom