Carton or no carton?

CTChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
SE Connecticut
So my son has a hatching project going on, it's for the school science fair. We are comparing hatch rates for a Little Giant incubator and a homemade incubator that I built. Here is my question: should I use egg cartons inside the incubators to hold the eggs at lockdown, which is tonight? I don't know that the LG has enough head room for the chicks and I'm worried they might burn their little heads on the heating element. My homemade one has plenty of head room. I know the cartons contain some of the mess from hatching and keep the eggs from rolling around. Should I just leave them out? Are there advantages/disadvantages that I don't know about?

I need advice. We have 2 more egg turnings today and then it's lockdown time.

HI, I really hope you get a responce to this....
Just put mine on lockdown........LG...did it with egg cartons.grrrrrrrrrrrr

Good luck

I say take out the wire shelf and place them in the cartons. That is what I have decided to do for my first hatch in the LittleGiant Incubator. I agree with you..they would be way to close to the heating element in a carton...so take that wire shelf out and you should have room. Good luck, cool science fair project!

If you already locked down...I am sure it is worth it to quickly open and take out the wire rack. You may start a fire or kill your chicks!

I don't use cartons, but to contain the mess, put down a sheet of newspaper. since it's a science project, I'd do that same for both, either egg cartons for both or none as your putting in another variable.

I've done both, the rates for me are about the same, the only thing you need to watch is that the chicks don't touch the heating element, so if you have a low element don't use cartons

hmm.png
tongue.png
lol.png
roll.png
:cool:Hey Sara!!!
smile.png
sad.png
big_smile.png
wink.png

I just finished a hatch using an lg still air and hand turning the eggs. I used the egg carton method for lockdown and also put a piece of rubber shelf liner over the wire. I had 22/24 hatch, the two that didn't looked like they quit around day12-15. Don't take the wire rack out because you'll risk chicks drowning in the water wells. I had no problems with the chicks and heating elements. Good luck with your hatch!

Oh, mine hatched early too so be ready.

Okay, everyone is in lockdown in the first bator. Here's what I did: I had an 18 ct box for the 15 eggs. The box fits inside the ring of the heating element so they can climb out and not get burned. Once out they'll have plenty of room.

I just noticed one of the eggs has a crack. Arrrgh! I don't think there is anything I can do for it at this point. I better not have a chick in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom