Carton or no carton?

I've got 10 eggs in lockdown in a Brinsea Eco 20 in paper towel "cups" my son and I made, 35 more in a Hova Bator forced air in modified paper cartons: I cut out the bottoms and shaved down the sides so the eggs are contained but not covered at all, hoping air and moisture will circulate well. Good luck! We are due to hatch tomorrow through Thurs, so far one has pipped in the Brinsea!

I think I have an egg moving around! The chick must be orienting itself. I can't handle this! Arghhhhh!
barnie.gif
th.gif
How many eggs do I have again?

yuckyuck.gif

I'm starting to feel the same!

The Brinsea with my Dorkings has 1 chick out, 6 zipping and 1 pipping, 2 still quiet and the busy little thing has been CRAZY all over the place, pecking at the opening eggs and knocking them all around. So much for the tidy little cups! I refuse to remove her, though, as I like her safe and sound in her hatcher.

My carton eggs in the Hova Bator are cheeping, pipping and zipping, none hatched yet, but when they rock and move it's very contained. I wonder what is best overall? In nature, you know the eggs move around under mommy hen. Who knows?
idunno.gif

I'll keep you posted!

Quote:
Then wouldn't the cartons absorb all the water from the trays below the cartons would be resting right on the water in mine?

Quote:
don't use newspaper, you will get more sprattle leg, use cheese cloth instead, keeps the air moving and the chcks don't slip

People also been using that rubber shelf liner and it has little holes all over it so you will still get humidity and air flow moisture from below in the water ducts if you have them in your incubator.

Good luck!

I have used both egg cartons and laying them flat in an LG. I think they both have their own advantages and disadvantages and it is for you to decide what you want to do. I didn't have any problems with my chicks and the heating element either.

Carton Advantages
Mess is contained
Chicks don't play kickball with the unhatched eggs
I think they have an easier time getting out of the shells

Disadvantages using a carton
Less room for the chicks to move around after hatch
If you have a breach hatch, I think it may be harder on that chick

Laying flat Advantages
You can see the eggs wiggle better when the chick is getting into position
More room for the hatched chicks

Laying Flat Disadvantage
The hatched chicks love to play kickball with the unhatched eggs - may cause unhatched chick disorientation
Mess is everywhere and energetic chicks can crush a hatched egg and spread shell ALL OVER THE PLACE

I know there are more advantages and disadvantages than what I have written out, it was just what I thought of at this moment. Good luck with the hatch! And remember DON'T OPEN THE BATOR until the hatch is finished (sorry to shout but it is very important).

Quote:
Then wouldn't the cartons absorb all the water from the trays below the cartons would be resting right on the water in mine?

Initially mine soaked up some water but I overfilled the wells a bit. I move the carton back a smidge and its fine now. Temp is at 101 and humidity is at 80%, staying steady.

I heard a peep from outside and nearly jumped out of my skin! This hatching business is making me crazy! I've got nothing done today because I'm camped out by the 'bator, checking it every 5 minutes! Does that make me a hatchaholic?

Quote:

Initially mine soaked up some water but I overfilled the wells a bit. I move the carton back a smidge and its fine now. Temp is at 101 and humidity is at 80%, staying steady.

I heard a peep from outside and nearly jumped out of my skin! This hatching business is making me crazy! I've got nothing done today because I'm camped out by the 'bator, checking it every 5 minutes! Does that make me a hatchaholic?

Or possibly drown especially if you cut out the bottoms.

Back
Top Bottom