Carton or no carton

GreenGoddess

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 6, 2009
St Pauls, NC
ok.. I go into lockdown in 6 days and figured I'd better ask this question now...

I have used the carton method for hatching before and absolutely love it... However.... I have a Hova Bator that is FULL of eggs in cartons.. All but a dozen will be hatching on or around the 28th..

I do have a way to "turn" the eggs that are in a later hatch if I absolutely need to no matter how I do this so that is not an issue... But since there would be absolutely no walk room in the bator for any hatched chicks, is it safe for them to be walking only on the cartons or do i need to go ahead and take those out of the cartons so they can walk on the floor...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I use the cartons also. The only thing that I would be concerned about is having it be so full that there are egg loaded cartons directly under the heating element. I have had a chick singe her eye that way when she was walking around on top of the other eggs yet to hatch.

Quote:
You know, I didn't even think of that!! Thanks for pointing that out... Ok... Out of the cartons they will go for lockdown....

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I've never had that problem before, but I always use cartons now. Otherwise it's chick pinball/bowling in there, and I've had ones try and pip upside down before, then die due to the lack of strength to emerge out of an egg facing the ground.

I'm useing cartons for the first time just went into lockdown yesterday. I'll check back tomorrow and let you know how it went. No the cartons don't fill the entire bator.

Quote:
See, that's where my problem lies... The cartons in the bator go from edge to edge and there is absolutely no floor showing (unless you count what you can see through the clear plastic carton lol)... So, if I use the carton method, after they hatch they will be walking all over the top of the cartons/eggs...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I am trying the cartoon technique for the first time. Using the Brinsea Eco, so it is pretty full.
The Brinsea has a plastic ceiling that seperates the heating area from the incubation chamber so I do not think there is any danger of a chick being singed.
So far I am loving my new Brinsea bator.
smile.png

Quote:
Did the cartons fill the entire bator or is there room on the floor once they hatch?

Goddess
jumpy.gif

In most cases there was very little room, which brings me to the one flaw I always ran into - Chicks getting caught between or under cartons. Big worry of mine. Each hatch I try a new method to try and prevent this. Naturally a chick should be fine, but it truly worries me a lot, especially if I spent good money on the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom