Carton or not to carton is the question???

pamperedpoultry

CHICKENFIED
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
(south West) Virginia
I've got pheasant, chicken and quail eggs set that are goin on day 5, and I plan to candle tonight, however I've been reading on the carton methods, and I'm sick of turning eggs by hand, this is my 6th batch this spring/summer and getting burnt out. I have just an LG incubator still air no turner, so I was thinking if I put the eggs in cartons, cut the bottoms out, and find some way to tilt the eggs in a different direction everyday would be easier. I'd like to tilt the carton not the bator. Anyhows let me know some good tips or if I should even attempt this. Also any suggestions on The quail eggs or just leave them on the rack.

I would try to hang in there and keep up the good work!
clap.gif

I'm on my second batch for this year with one waiting in the "wings". I understand how mundain it can get. I did hand roll the first batch and this one is in an auto egg turner.

(Though it should be called an egg slosher, because it doesn't turn them.
hu.gif
)
lau.gif

I got it from Valley Vet for about $35.00. Well worth the price. Though I feel a little detached now.

After using both methods, I think hand rolling is the best. Fresh air gets to the eggs and the roll is inconsistant. Much like a chicken. Not this mechanical roll to the left.............................................................................................................................................now roll to the right......................................................................................now roll to the left..............................................................etc.

Even with the carton...you will have to take the time to tilt the carton. I don't see how you would be saving any time. Hang in there. Your chicks will thank you !

Peep!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I use carton. I've tried 3 times before without the carton method and got 0%
Now that I've used the carton method i have 100%! on my first bacth.

Its alot easier and affective :3

instead of turning its a simple tilt, no turning at all. It can also help with duck eggs humidity cuz a carton can soak up some water to help.

Any questions you can PM me

Last edited:
This is our second hatch with a carton and we like it! Instead of hand rolling 3 or 4 dozen eggs several times a day, we just tilt a few cartons and we're done! Our hatch was better with a carton, but I don't know if it was better BECAUSE of the carton. We used a few clothes pins to prop up the eggs. The corner of the pin kinda sets in the wire bottom. This is probably the way will always hatch now.
Hope yours goes well!

I like to hand turn mine. But, I don't do massive incubating at one time. Most I have had in my bator at once was 15..lol. And usually I only do 2-3 hatcches a year (depending on what I can get my hands on lol)

Like someone else said about feeling unattached, it makes me feel more..involved..
big_smile.png

I do all my quail in cartons or trays. I've used plastic cartons before with no higher loss than any other hatch and I've used styrofoam ones with bantam eggs which resulted in one of my highest hatch rates on shipped eggs. I just set the edges of the tray or carton on pieces I cut off other cardboard trays.

My incubators when I had over 200 coturnix eggs and random bantam eggs in them:

SANY1480.jpg

SANY1486.jpg

One warning though. If you do this in a still air the temps can get tricky. The top of those cartons was kept at 103F and the bottom at 98F. The temps will layer in a still air so the higher you go the hotter it gets and the farther from the center the cooler it gets. You can end up cooking or chilling the eggs as you tilt them if you don't keep a good eye on the temps. Both incubators had multiple thermometers with one set on the eggs and the end of it at the highest point on the carton closest to the center to measure the hottest temp. That temp should not go over 103 and preferably try for 102. The lowest temp should be measured at the edge of the incubator on the mesh or the lowest point an egg gets. That should not go below 96F at any point and preferably should stay about 98F.

Even with the carton...you will have to take the time to tilt the carton. I don't see how you would be saving any time.

It takes me about 2 seconds to lift a carton, rotate it, and set it back down with the other end up. You know how long it would have taken to hand turn 200+ quail eggs? I probably would not have gotten done before they all cooled too much from the bator being open.​

Last edited:
Do ya'll use paper or styro cartons? Bottoms cut out or not??

Many recommend cardboard, but I've only used styrofoam. I've heard the cardboard can wick up water and raise the humidity too much. The styrofoam w/ the bottoms cut out work wonderfully for me.

And...this is the place to come with questions. Anything I know about chickens has come from BYC.
big_smile.png

Well I candled tonight and tossed the bad ones. I used 2 cartons that hold 18 and cut the bottom out of the holders. I've got a themometer on the high end and the low end of the eggs and holding steady..Wish Me luck!!

Back
Top Bottom