Carton or not to carton is the question???

Using a carton blocks off air flow. If you are going to use a carton cut the bottoms of each hole out to let air come thru. As far as letting them hatch in the cartons i would not recomend it because in all commercial hatcheries they are laying on their side during hatching.

Quote:
I did cut the holes out so they have pleanty of air. I'm back and forth on letting them hatch in them, I may let one carton hatch in the carton and one take out an let hatch on the wire see how it goes. I really did it to keep from having to turn them by hand. I hope it does ok.

I may let one carton hatch in the carton and one take out an let hatch on the wire see how it goes.

Good idea. Then you can do your own test. My first hatch I didn't use a carton, and the hatched chicks ran around that bator rolling over the pipped eggs FACE DOWN on their pips! I hated that. Didn't know if they'd be able to get out after that. Then they'd knock 'em over again and again. In the carton, I haven't had that problem, but I've heard others say that some chicks pip kinda low and that could be a problem. When you're done, PM me and let me know how it worked out!
wink.png

I'll make sure to keep everyone updated on my progress, I'm not so sure how the 18 egg carton is goin to work, its hard to get the carton tilted without making one row of eggs too high. Idk we'll see I guess. It was so nice to just pop the lid open and move the 2 cartons better than turnin them all.

I'll be starting my first batch in the incubator next week-please excuse my dumb handturning question. Am I understanding correctly that when hand turning without a carton you mark each side X & O (or similar) and simply flip each egg over each time, doing a perfect 180 always... but in a carton (with the bottom cut out) you are merely leaning it from side to side. alternating propping one end up but not actually flipping it, so not getting a complete 180 degree flip? Forgive me, I like to have it down to a science and am trying to understand exactly what needs to be done.

LA~Poulet :

I'll be starting my first batch in the incubator next week-please excuse my dumb handturning question. Am I understanding correctly that when hand turning without a carton you mark each side X & O (or similar) and simply flip each egg over each time, doing a perfect 180 always... but in a carton (with the bottom cut out) you are merely leaning it from side to side. alternating propping one end up but not actually flipping it, so not getting a complete 180 degree flip? Forgive me, I like to have it down to a science and am trying to understand exactly what needs to be done.

With hand turning you are turning it completley over, but in a carton its just moved from side to side, same as an egg turner. I'm not sure which is suposed to be the best way but both seems to work, or so I've been told this is the first time I've done the carton. Maybe someone with more experience can answer ya better.​

Back
Top Bottom