Cascade Layer Poultry Feed, Organic...Anyone use?UPDATED: Got my feed!

They seem ok with it. It's still a bit early as they are transitioning from organic pellets which have mostly run out this week, but they are eating so that's a good sign. I'm very happy to have the option of having corn/soybean free feed locally.

Quote:
I ordered my two bags from Azure Standard and they should come in a shipment on Oct. 18th. I can't wait!
wee.gif

I'm so anxious to get my hens off corn and soy onto something more natural.
bun.gif

The Azure drop shipment routine sounds a little crazy, but if that works well I'll be happy.
hmm.png

I'll follow up and let every one know!
frow.gif

Hi Carpe DiHen,

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the feed AND the delivery experience. My non-soy feed comes all the way from Virginia, so I'm definitely looking for a closer source.

Quote:
I'll let you know!

My "drop off" place is a Seventh Day Adventist Church in Placerville, mid-morn on a Monday. I'll have to cut out of work and go to church to get my feed! Kinda funny! Ended up buying some other good stuff from Azure Standard, like some Manna bread, cereal and natural gum...

I think it will depend on how good the organizers are about sorting the shipment...we'll see!
thumbsup.gif

BYW, it was easy to find drop shipment sites in my area, I would think it would be the same in Berekely?
idunno.gif

Definition of Wheat Middlings from Wikipedia:

Wheat middlings or wheat mill run, stated by AAFCO, is coarse and fine particles of wheat bran and fine particles of wheat shorts, wheat germ, wheat flour and offal from the "tail of the mill".

Wheat middlings is an inexpensive byproduct intermediate of human food processing, commonly referred to as floor sweepings. It is an inexpensive filler in pet food and a basis for manufacturing semolina. It has 96 percent of the energy value of barley and 91 percent of the energy value of corn.

Quote:
In a lot of definitions it is referred to as a co-product rather than a by-product. Kind of like harvesting corn and then cutting and baling the corn stalks for cattle. They are both useful, nutritious products in their own regard.

Cattle get fed cardboard too. They just mix some Molasses on it and call it "feed". Pretty much anything will eat anything if they are hungry enough.

Wheat middlings are considered a by-product within the whole industry. You can call it a co-product if you want to make it sound better.

Heck, the EPA re-named sewer sludge. They now call it "Bio-Solids", so people won't go "ick" when they find out what is being used for fertilizer on farm land. I read an article in our local Ag Paper where a couple of Dairy Farmers lost their cows to Biosolids being used on their pastures. The EPA had to pay them a lot of money. I still don't think they are testing it before spreading.

Back
Top Bottom