Cascade Layer Poultry Feed, Organic...Anyone use?UPDATED: Got my feed!

Carpe DiHen

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
El Dorado County, CA
I am considering buying the Cascade feed. I have a minimun purchase of $50.00 to get free drop ship from Azure Standard. I will have to buy two bags. I'm affraid to buy that much for my 6 chickens in case they do not like the taste and the fact it is mash.

Anyone have any experience? Looking for review.

Product DescriptionCorn & Soy Free!

Product of Oregon.

Ingredients: Organic Peas, Organic Triticale, Organic Wheat, Organic Barley, Calcium Carbonate, Crab Meal, Fish Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dehydrated Seaweed Meal, Salt, Organic Wheat Middlings, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrchloride, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus casei, Dried Fermentation product of Lactobacillus plantarum, Dried fermentation product of Enterococcus faecium, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus coagulans, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus Licheniformis, and Dried fermentation product of Bacillus Subtilis, Dried Asperfillus Niger Fermentation Extract.

Guaranteed Analysis Nutrient Name: Amount Crude Protein - min 16.10% Lysine - min 0.78% Methionine - min 0.33% Crude Fat - min 5.14% Crude Fiber - max 4.95% Calcium - min 4.55% Calcium - max 5.00% Phosphorus 0.93% Salt -min 0.43% Salt - max 0.47%

FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS: Feed this complete mash feed to poultry16 weeks of age or first egg throughout the egg production cycle. Provide plenty of fresh water. CAUTION: Do not feed to cattle or other ruminants.

Last edited:
Quote:
I buy mine at a local store - Urban Farm Store in Portland. I'm going to start buying from Azure this next time if I can find a buying group.

ETA: If you went to the real Azure Standard site, there is a note posted about their fall vacation. They take a week off 4 times a year IIRC.

"We Will be Closed for our Annual Fall Vacation
Please note we will be closed for our Annual Fall Vacation Friday October 1st through Thursday October 8th. This will affect all UPS and USPS customers. UPS and USPS orders placed during this time will be processed, and shipped out as soon as possible after returning from vacation."

Last edited:
Mine will be arriving today! They have many other things that you might use in your house instead of buying another bag of feed that you are unsure of. Almost any natural or organic groceries that you use, like canned good, raw cheese, cleaning supplies, and body care.

You said "free drop ship," but that is not exactly true.

Did you find a group to join? You should need a $55 order to avoid a $5 "small order" fee, but as a group, you need $550, I think.

Quote:
Yes Wildflower, thanks to info you gave me on another thread, I did find a group!

I will look around for some other items to purchase. It's just such a hassle I thought I'd stock up on feed. I am just affraid to buy it if the chickens will "turn their beaks up" at it. They are chow hounds however
lol.png

Never used a chicken feed with fish in it, that is what is what I am wondering about.
hmm.png
Also that it is mash.

Let me know what you think after you use it!

I'm transitioning over to the Cascade feeds. My girls are too young to lay so I can't speak about that formula specificially but they eat the starter just fine. That being said, all birds are different. My girls have, so far at least, turned their noses up at hard or scrambled eggs while others say their chickens love these. You could mix it with something they eat now to get them used to the transition.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
Please let us know how all of your chickens like our feed. We want to know your thoughts and concerns. We hope that you will be pleased with our product. In case you didn't know it is Certified Organic and Corn and Soy Free mash. The other thing your chickens will appreciate about our feeds is we use all whole grains no grain by-products. Again, thanks for trying and using our feed.

Quote:
I buy mine at a local store - Urban Farm Store in Portland.

Me too. My girls are transitioning from organic pellets to cascade layer.

My initial impression to the feed was that it was more dusty than what the girls are accustomed to coming off of pellets and crumbles. It certainly looks and smells better than what they've had before.

Back
Top Bottom