Cassowaries

Quote:
I know of him, he doesnt breed them, he is a broker. The single wattles he was offering were the same ones that we got. But thanks for the info :)

I've never seen them before.... They are pretty cool!!
ep.gif

Quote:
Not related to Guinea's. They are Ratites, which is the same family as Ostrich, Emu, and Rhea's. The import birds came from Asia.

Are cassowaries legal to keep in the U.S.? That's so cool if they are! I know a few things about them, but I'd like to see one up close sometime.

Absolutely fantastic information! I adore cassowaries and think they are fascinating, they really seem so prehistoric. I've only seen them in zoos and it would be a real treat and honour to raise them. Congratulations !! And thanks for sharing!

Are cassowaries legal to keep in the U.S.? That's so cool if they are! I know a few things about them, but I'd like to see one up close sometime.

Yes they are, the only thing not legal are things listed on appendix 2 and 3 of the CITES list, which are very threatened or endangered animals. I feel it wont be long before Cassowaries make it there, then I will have to get permits and USDA inspections to continue keeping them which will suck. Otherwise, certain counties and possibly certain states might have laws that prevent keeping them, but not because they are Cassowaries. Its simply because some counties have ordinances against large animals period. Cassowaries are listed under poultry along with Ostriches, Emus, and Rheas with the USDA, so its no more difficult to have one of them than it is the other Ratites as far as the legal aspect of it. The problem is actually finding and affording them.

Yes they are, the only thing not legal are things listed on appendix 2 and 3 of the CITES list, which are very threatened or endangered animals. I feel it wont be long before Cassowaries make it there, then I will have to get permits and USDA inspections to continue keeping them which will suck. Otherwise, certain counties and possibly certain states might have laws that prevent keeping them, but not because they are Cassowaries. Its simply because some counties have ordinances against large animals period. Cassowaries are listed under poultry along with Ostriches, Emus, and Rheas with the USDA, so its no more difficult to have one of them than it is the other Ratites as far as the legal aspect of it. The problem is actually finding and affording them.
Okay! Thank you. I know for sure that I won't purchase some anytime soon, but It'd be great to be able to keep a few in the future to preserve the cassowary as a species, because I know that their numbers are becoming smaller.

You have beautiful birds! I love the pens so pretty and natural.
I didn't think anything was cuter then emu babies, but cassowary chicks just might have them beat:)

keep up the good work cassowaries need all the help they can get!

Back
Top Bottom