CAT attacked ducklings, caution, gross pic, edit, less gross improving

BarnSweet

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Kenosha county, Wisconsin
Posting for a friend...

DSC01031.jpg

Neighbor moved and deserted their cat. Sad, but it's gotten hungry and managed to get thru to the two ducklings that were penned. She got the cat out but the Khaki Campbell looks pretty bad. Survived overnight (she moved them back to the horse trailer so they're safe again) seems to be breathing normal, is quacking and drinking.
She is using Vetricyn (customer support said it was safe for ducks and use 4X a day). She's chainging water every hour during the day, so it doesn't get too dirty (dog bowl). She can't tell if the Cambell is eating (since the other duck, Swedish) is in w/her "brooder mate" - her wing got bitten, but not too bad).

Do their bills heal?

Any other suggestions?

She raised two Pekins last year, no problems. Well, one problem is the Pekin drake w/only one hen, so that's one of the reasons she got two new hen ducklings. The hen chickens requested
roll.png
, sick of that duck's spring behavior
wink.png

Another friend, who's in animal control in another state, said that cat bites are fatal for wild birds (was not sure about "farm poultry"). has anyone heard this before?

Thanks for any help or pointing me in a direction to search.
Do you think a wildlife rescue would have suggestions/ideas? I thought they might have experience w/rescuing attacked ducks.

EDIT
Here's an updated pic from Sunday 4/18:
DSC01045.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

She's doing much better
big_smile.png
, today is day five post injuries.

Oh, they're juvenille ducks, not ducklings. I lost track and thought they were only three weeks, closer to seven.

Last edited:
Poooooor Ducky!

I have heard there is something in cat's saliva that is deadly to little animals and birds. I can't help you with exactly what it is, but I believe it is a low grade toxin. I have 6 cats, and they drag up birds, bunnys, mice, moles, baby muskrats you name it. And I have attempted to rescue a bunny or chipmunk that has only been bitten. They always die within 3 or 4 days, faithfully....even the ones that really within a day the wound has healed up because it is so minor. With large fowl I don't know if that is the case, I would assume treating with antibiotics would help prevent that, and where it is so much more larger than say a small bird or mouse it may not have the same effect.

I hope this bumps your post and someone has had more experience with this!

I would just keep a close eye for now, and keep track of whether or not she is eating and drinking, and I think you are doing the right thing with treating with antibiotics, so sorry for your friend!
sad.png
Although I feel bad for the poor kitty that hasn't had any food, not its fault poor thing, instinct is to stay alive!

Oh poor baby
hit.gif
I have heard there is a bacteria in the cats claws and saliva that is deadly to birds. Antibiotics can fix it if you catch it in time from what I read. I would try ampicillin or tetracycline in the water because it is a bacterial infection. Maybe baytril might help also.

Last edited:
Your chances are low for recover with that much exposed flesh. Cats have massive amount's of bacteria in their mouth's and in their claws. That's why they get abscess's so often after a fight. If you want to give the guy a chance then more power to your friend but it does not look good unless that bird get's some sort of vet care and a strong does of antibiotics.

I think that the vetericyn is an EXCELLENT choice for the treatment of the wounds and I agree that antibiotics are also necessary. I have personally used vetericyn on one of my horses with a ghastly wound and it healed the wound with virtually no scar. If there is a miracle topical treatment vetericyn is definitely it. Good luck!

oh poor ducky!!! Cats have the nastiest mouths. Humans get massive infections from them, even with antibiotics often require surgical debridment. I hope ducky survives but it will be tough.

Thank you all very much. I passed the information along.

The duckling is drinking and breathing normal. I'll update when I hear (she's in Cali and I'm in Wisconsin).
I'm hoping it looks worse than it is, sorry to make you sad.
sad.png

Appreciate your time, input and help
smile.png

Last edited:
Cat bites themselves are not toxic in any way. The bacteria that come along with the bite are ugly though. The use of a good general purpose/broad spectrum antibiotic should work just fine.

Birds are amazingly resilient - not quite as good as fish - but really tough if healthy.

Back
Top Bottom