Cats and kittiens

Sunksschicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 10, 2012
Montana
okay all of sudden we have had a huge population surge with cats. A lot of people here in town have cats but just let them go and now a lot of them are Ferrel :( I live right here in town well like a block outside of town . You cannot shoot off guns not even be-be guns . At first we had the situation handled now its gotten worse . Throwing rocks at them is getting old and dangerous lol o0

is there any homemade remedies that I can use like spices?? thanks :) :)

We have plenty of cats around here and they have never bothered my birds. They tend to go after chicks which are always locked up in a secure brooder here.

We have a place here where you can trap stray cats and have them fixed for free. They release them with a clipped ear and tattoo. It's not going to get rid of them but it does help with the population. I haven't had any issues with cats bothering my chickens. I have 2 pet cats that were both strays as kittens. They bring me "gifts" often but none of my poultry.

I should of put that they can't get into the chickens now but earlier this year a cat did and got two of my chicks :( Ill try the citrus spray I wonder if I can find a homemade recipe online :) Its just annoying but I knew that they would come into my yard because of my birds.. I don't mind cats just not in my yard lol....
ps thank you everyone :) :)

Last edited:
Cats pretty well go and do as they please. We have one that comes by to visit now and then, but makes a abrubt detour around the chicken pen....my cats are inside cats. Hard to say what will make them change their mind about visiting your yard, other than a dog....or guard goose.

I only say this because you mentioned not been able to use a gun. Use a live cat/possum trap, when you have caught a cat, throw a tarpaulin over the trap, connect hose to car exhaust and slip it under the tarp. 10 mins later, turn off the car, put cat in plastic bag and drop it in the bin.
Quick, easy and humane.

My property is very well fenced and gated and only cats and foxes will sometimes climb over......they never leave.
Oh yeah, we get Koala's climb over too, but they are ok eh.

Cheers......The Dog

Please don't kill random cats that you find/catch. They could be somebody's pet. If your chickens are locked up tight as you said, they shouldn't be much of a threat. No need to kill them or throw rocks at them. Worse comes to worse, catch and take to the SPCA so they can determine who they belong to or if they are adoptable.

Gday Michelle, MMmm, thats fine, and of course if they were "pets" then they would be kept home where they belong eh ?, so they would never end up in my trap.

Cheers..... The Dog

Why is it everyone thinks it is the owner's responsibility to "lock up" their chickens for their protection? I feel like I ought to be able to do anything I want on my land. I'm not hiding from the boogerman. I'll meet him at the door.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom