Cats scaring my chickens

FAB

Hatching
Jul 2, 2023
Hello! Any tips on preventing neighborhood cats from terrorizing my 4 month old flock of hens? They are well protected in their fully covered run—1/2 in hardwire mesh and galvanized metal roof. But the run is rather narrow (6 ft x14ft) and the circling cat is, I guess, too close for comfort and drives them up into their henhouse. We are in a heatwave here in the deep south. Staying in their henhouse during the day is too hot and away from their food and primary water source (I do keep a small waterer in the henhouse, but I’m sure it’s warm and not enough if they end up scared and corralled in there for a long stretch of time if I’m not home to check on them frequently. I have an old (13+ years) English Springer Spaniel who stays outside but she finds a cool bush to nap under most all day and has long lost interest in chasing cats. I can only think maybe I should get a puppy/young dog to grow up with and be protector for the flock. I’m not allowed a rooster where I live.

get a marauder pcp, theyre tack driving accurate .. anything you see in your yard shoot it in the rear, its a very good deterrent ..if you dont deal with it, sooner or later they 'will' get your birds ..

Seriously!?! Don’t know if I can go to that extreme, but maybe should I trap and relocate? I had thought of this but also had hoped these neighborhood cats would prove to be a bonus as “mousers.”

Back
Top Bottom