Cause of shredded like feathers???

ElimAcres

Songster
Apr 7, 2021
My Aunt has 7 chickens that are all displaying some abnormal feathering in varying degrees. Two are 7 year old Jersey Giants and 5 are about 9 mo old black Copper Marans. The majority of the feather issues are in the Marans. The feathers are curling a bit and appear to be kinda shredded at the tips. One bird in particular has a decent bare spot on her back and belly. The rooster also shakes his head quite a bit. My Aunt takes impeccable care of her birds. She cleans the poop out of their stall coop daily, they have a dust bath and everything is kept in presteen condition. She's dusted them several times already with Permethrin and DE and neither of us saw any mites or lice. What could be causing this? She wondered if it could be damage from her rooster over breeding but I have never seen feathers like this and I have several different flocks of my own all with roosters present. Could it be mites? Are the feathers just damaged and won't look normal again until the hens molt? Any advice appreciated. My Aunt is concerned.

Screenshot_20230119-205639.png
Screenshot_20230119-205631.png
Screenshot_20230119-205624.png

Chickens have a preening gland on their backs near the base of their tail. When they preen their feathers they get some oil from the gland and rub it on the feathers. This takes the split/shredded look away. Perhaps their gland is not working? Just a guess. I could be totally off the mark. I have 3 Marans and sometimes their tail feathers look split but not to the extent of yours.

Chickens have a preening gland on their backs near the base of their tail. When they preen their feathers they get some oil from the gland and rub it on the feathers. This takes the split/shredded look away. Perhaps their gland is not working? Just a guess. I could be totally off the mark. I have 3 Marans and sometimes their tail feathers look split but not to the extent of yours.
I hatched these birds from my own flock and kept some of their siblings and none look even remotely like these. I'm thinking they must have mites. I just don't really know. I've never dealt with them.

Did your aunt happen to deworm them with fenbendazole (Safegard) while they were molting? Fendbendazole can cause feathers to grow back looking curled/shredded.

That doesn't explain the bare backs though. Another issue that could cause the problem you are seeing is depluming mites. Permethrin usually doesn't kill them because depluming mites bury deep into the feather shafts. Ivermectin will kill them because ivermectin is systemic.

Did your aunt happen to deworm them with fenbendazole (Safegard) while they were molting? Fendbendazole can cause feathers to grow back looking curled/shredded.

That doesn't explain the bare backs though. Another issue that could cause the problem you are seeing is depluming mites. Permethrin usually doesn't kill them because depluming mites bury deep into the feather shafts. Ivermectin will kill them because ivermectin is systemic.
I'll ask her about the safeguard and I'll mention trying some ivermectin. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom